Saturday, November 1, 2014

Cellphone Pictures

In my never-ending quest to get rid of my smart phone -- (still under contract) -- one of the challenges is to GET THE PICTURES off the phone, and on to my laptop. Where at least I can see them. Occasionally.

I tried to categorize them....however, that was clearly going to be a gigantic waste of time.  So, I made a big file that says "Random Phone Pics". And if it weren't for this blog, nobody would ever see them...EVER..

These particular pictures are about our Saturday auction days with Bert.  A couple of years ago, when my house was clearly overwhelmed by my non-stop treasure-hunting -- I developed this new strategy.  Instead of bidding -- I take a picture.  I don't get quite the same adrenaline rush -- but it was simply not possible to BUY every treasure I see....
This little glass jar went for $50...I thought that was a lot...
I'm pretty sure I took this picture because the whole set went maybe $80?? I thought that was too little...
And Bert and I ALWAYS have an ugly lamp moment. They usually sell for $1....
IF I WAS STARTING OVER -- I'd buy this set. These were the colors of my wedding...
I cannot tell you how many Saturdays Bert and I spend doing THIS...(we are most likely doing this today, because it is a Saturday)
My sister Ronda collects both nativity scenes AND Precious Moments...
My nephew Cory has a horse farm -- can you see this table made out of welded horseshoes??
THIS is how we start our Saturdays!! My favorite meal to eat OUT -- BREAKFAST!! (see those portions?  Welcome to Iowa -- now you understand why we are fat).
As much as I loved this fabric -- and the whole box went for $1 -- I took the picture and moved on...
More random pictures of stuff piled on tables...
I HAVE NO IDEA why I took most of these pictures...like so many things in a life -- it just seemed like a good idea at the time...
I took this picture of a sewing machine with my phone, to send to my friend Linda, who was in the market at the time...
I LOVED this fabulous sofa!!  I was very happy for the girl who was furnishing her first apartment. I'll bet it makes her smile every time she walks in the door...
SO MANY BOOKS at all these auctions. But I long ago ran out of room for books...so it's an easy resist for me. With the help of this here picture...
As great as it is to be able to photos with your cellphone -- it makes me think about REAL value. Because it is so EASY, and there is no cost involved -- you take pictures without even thinking about it.  And maybe the easy availability (and overabundance?) diminishes the value...

In the old days, you had to PAY money to have every photo developed.  So they were valuable for two big reasons.  First of all -- it required a lot of effort and time to take a picture.  Secondly, there was an investment in the camera, the film AND most of all, the developing.

Cellphone pictures are no more valuable than a Kleenex or a ziplock baggie.  Meant for a one-time use...then you throw them away. When I was going through the hundreds of pictures on my phone, I realized they were taken on the spur of the moment...and if nobody EVER saw them....well -- the world would go on spinning....

Then, (too bad for you) I remembered I have this blog...so I could show YOU the pictures before I push the delete key...

No comments:

Post a Comment