|Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, generic store brand...we are not one bit picky...|
We have so many things available to us that are delicious and convenient. As a matter of fact, there are many things that are so good -- they have become my NEW standard.
Think about this. I'm trying to make something from scratch -- and it might take me hours, and I'll have a big mess to clean up besides. Then, I realize my ACTUAL GOAL is that it should taste as good as the convenient mix/frozen/refrigerated version. Tell me again -- why should I bother?? AND WHAT IS THE POINT??
For example -- pie crust. I have often made pie crust from scratch. I have made DELICIOUS pie crust. But I've also made pie crust that falls apart, or is too tough to roll out. So, one of the things I ALWAYS HAVE in my refrigerator is a box of rolled up pie crusts.
|The local store brand saves me 50 cents..and they are PERFECT every time...|
|Lilly and I can make pies ON A MOMENT'S NOTICE|
Here is my personal list of THINGS I COULD MAKE FROM SCRATCH -- but a prepared-tube-or-box-mix is better -- so WHY BOTHER??
- Cake Mix (Thank you, Betty Crocker!)
- Pie Crust (MY PERSONAL GO-TO PRODUCT.)
- Pasta (I mean -- really?? Who makes this from scratch??)
- Egg Noodles (Reames frozen)
- Refrigerator Biscuits (Any brand is wonderful -- I like the buttery GRAND size)
- Corn Muffins (the little box mixes )
- Frosting (Lilly LOVES to frost things -- a can costs about $1.00)
- Spaghetti Sauce (Prego or Ragu)
- Stovetop Stuffing (John likes the scratch version -- but my boys are disappointed if it doesn't taste just like Stovetop)
- Puff Pastry (even my "I-cooked-with-Julia-Child-friend-Pat-Leslie" keeps this in her freezer!)
- Rhodes frozen rolls
Honestly -- Rhodes does this better than I ever could!!
- Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (every mother knows what I'm saying...)
- Any kind of jelly or jam...
I'm not going to analyze this too much.
The holidays are coming. I'm just going to be grateful...