Thursday, October 2, 2014

Warren and Lilly

Recently, somebody asked me, "what do you do everyday?" And I had to think for a minute...then, I remembered -- being somebody's Grandma is a FULL TIME JOB...
Warren spends Thursday and Friday here -- so that's an overnight -- and HE IS A HANDFUL...
Uncle Ross is a big help -- and one of Warren's favorite people...
He loves the little painted stool -- we think Warren believes they are brothers...
He has his own personal window on the world...it seems like just yesterday, his father was standing in that very spot...
Warren is ALWAYS HAPPY. Ross says his time here is like his own personal Thunder Dome...
And, of course, we also spend a lot of time with Lillian.  Her overnight is on Saturday.  On this day, she and I were going out for breakfast at one of our favorite places.  We play table games with the jellies and sugar packets.  Tic-tac-toe, jenga...that kind of thing...
She does not miss a thing.  And I enjoy her point of view...it is shocking to me how early (she is only 5) children start to form opinions about things...
We made the dress she's wearing (it is fringed), and she picked out her own accessories...
When Elliott and Emily got out of the Army, they came back to Iowa and started a business. As Ritaluck would have it,  at that exact moment, I was ready to switch gears in my own life -- and then these two sweet children moved into my neighborhood.

Being a Grandma is so much different than being a parent.  It's like eating chocolate without the calorie punishment....

Being a Grandmother means you are old.  Therefore, you understand the nature of TIME. When you are young, you can put things off...because you believe there will always be more time.  But by the time you are the Grandma, you understand the circus only comes to town once in a blue moon and you BETTER NOT MISS IT.

A Grandma understands that in order to create a memory that a child can hold for his/her whole life --  you actually have to DO SOMETHING with the child.    

I have no idea what Lilly and Warren will remember.

But I do know this -- I'm smart enough and old enough to treasure every moment...

1 comment: