Friday, October 24, 2014

Traveling Circus

One day, I saw a poster in a restaurant -- and realized a little one-ring circus was coming to Clinton, Iowa on THAT THURSDAY. It was the Kelly Miller Circus from Hugo, Oklahoma.

YIKES....I don't have much time to put this thing together.  It's a school night, everybody is so busy...The performance was at 4:30...It would take a super-effort to make it happen...

Also, many people have been very unhappy with the gigantic BIG circuses that do the big venues...the one at the Fairgrounds last year was so bad, my sister left during the intermission.  Carrie's kids hated the circus last year...

But, I have some very fond memories of a small one-ring circus that came to Princeton, Iowa over 30 years ago.  Ross was a little kid and he still remembers and talks about that circus.  It was the first time he ever saw an elephant...we had such a wonderful time...Val and I have laughed about it for years...

I thought it was worth a shot...so, I called Nicole to see if Memphis was available...then, I picked her up at her school....Emily picked up Lilly...we met at the park for a picnic supper..
I made faux-Arby roast beef and cheese sandwiches
Warren came to the picnic....he would be going home with me.
Emily took the girls to the circus...
The big top only seats 1000 people..so everything is up close and personal...
During the intermission...they had their faces painted...
I MEAN -- HAVE YOU EVER SEEN CUTER GIRLS???
There were elephant rides, pony rides...face painting...
Camel rides....
They had such a WONDERFUL TIME!! I am SO DELIGHTED that the earth and the moon and the stars in the sky lined up so these two little girls could go to the circus...

Emily had a great time taking our girls to this sweet little circus...they are the perfect age...it was the perfect size...Emily noticed how many jobs the performers had.  One woman was the star in the aerial act, then she was riding a horse during that performance, and later on, she was in the ring with the lions...

Because Lilly was still talking about it a week later...I tried to find a poster around town so we could frame it for her room.  But all the stores had thrown them away.  So, I emailed the Kelly Miller Circus, and asked if I could buy a poster.  They responded the next day -- delighted my granddaughter enjoyed their circus -- and they'd be happy to send me a poster.

Three days later, I received a tube with THREE DIFFERENT posters!!  One had a picture of the elephants, another one had pictures of their lions, and the third poster had a picture of their aerial act. 

If YOU WOULD LIKE THIS WONDERFUL CIRCUS TO COME TO YOUR TOWN -- please email them.  They have a great reputation, and they cleaned up every last paper cup or napkin before they left town.  Some towns or groups use them as a fundraiser...and maybe you should, too!!

KELLY MILLER CIRCUS... 

No comments:

Post a Comment