Thursday, February 26, 2015

My New Rolling Duffle

Warren spent the night here last night...and I get so busy trying to keep him from swallowing coins, I forgot to write a blog post.  But it would have been about painting my washing machine (it is happening)....

So, since I didn't get a chance to take those photos -- here's an OLD post about a dufflebag I painted a coupla years ago.  It was first published on February 26, 2012, and I was on my way to Puyallup.

*******************


Taking a page from Oprah's magazine...there's one thing I know for sure...

No matter how much you pay for your suitcase -- the airlines WILL DESTROY IT.

So, I've made the choice to travel with cheap 30" rolling duffles. They don't weigh much...I can get a LOT OF STUFF packed in them...they're easy and fun to decorate....and when Delta tears it apart -- it's not a big loss.

The first step is to stuff the suitcase with blankets or towels. You want the surface to be as flat as possible. The secret to success is a lot of different "coats" of paint -- and you have to let the project dry between layers.


Most important step -- a coat of Mod Podge. If you don't do this -- the paint just soaks into the fabric and you will never achieve vibrant color.

Then, I put down a white base coat...then big patches of pink or blue...

Next step -- lay out a design (sorta)

Next step -- paint another white coat over the failed first design...(lol)
When I think it's mucked enough -- I use a black permanent marker to add some detail.

FINAL STEP -- several coats of Mod Podge.


So THIS IS MY NEW ROLLING DUFFLE. If you're at the Seattle airport on Sunday -- look for it standing on the curb...

I AM SOO EXCITED!!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Pity I won't be in Puyallup to see this one. I thought of you the other day when I was trolling Walmart on-line & found a zebra duffle! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the great Pacific NW! See you Wednesday!
    Laura in Puyallup

    ReplyDelete