Thursday, June 2, 2011

Special Nephew "Moment"

When I knew for sure I was going to Salt Lake City, I used Facebook to email my nephew Matt. The last time I saw Matt was at his brother's wedding in Philadephia.

Matt lives in Utah with his beautiful little girl....and I was looking forward to seeing them both.


The truth is, we don't have real conversations with the next generation. We believe "children should be seen and not heard." If we babysit for our nieces or nephews, they mostly play with our own kids -- right? My family is pretty normal -- and our grown-up get-togethers are all about serving food, cooing over the new babies and picking up wrapping paper...

So who knows what they're really thinking? Who cares?

In my own defense -- WHEN THEY WERE CHILDREN -- they simply weren't that interesting...

But then -- a funny thing happens. They grow up. They become adults. With opinions. And feelings...and children of their own...

I was delighted to spend a little time with my all-grown-up-nephew Matt. Our dinner in Salt Lake City was the first time the two of us ever had a real conversation...

And I learned a lot about him just watching the way he is with is daughter....and the one evening we spent together in Salt Lake City might be something we both remember for years...

This picture could definitely be a Dairy Queen billboard...

I wish I'd been a bigger part of Matt's life. But I can't change the past...and it strikes me that I am very, very fortunate to have so many wonderful, interesting, grown-up nieces and nephews who are a part of my life...

Hey -- the good news is that I can change the future...and I'm going to be a better Aunt...

No comments:

Post a Comment