Thursday, November 5, 2009

Treasures I did NOT buy

Right in front of my friend Bert is a Cuisinart food processor that I did NOT buy at Saturday's auction. Because it only went for $2.50, I am feeling a little remorse...but since I already have three of them in my basement...I made the right choice...


You NEVER know what you're going to see at an auction -- like the next picture. You wouldn't expect to see a beautifully restored Model A Ford worth thousands of dollars in DeWitt, Iowa -- much less TWO OF THEM...aren't they beautiful? But, they went for $8000 and $8500 each, so it was an easy pass for me...

So, okay, not buying the antique cars was easy. But NOT buying this chicken lamp was harder than you might think....cuz it is a well known fact that I have a weakness for ugly lamps. It's actually kind of my "signature move" when it comes to home dec. I've owned extraordinary pink flamingo lamps, lamps that look like trees, 50's pole lamps, I once painted a whole room to match an orange globe lamp. If it makes me smile -- I generally take it home....and you've gotta admit -- this one is a real hoot...(and, yes, I have seen BIG OWL lamps as well...)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rita!
    At our Austin-Healey car club Christmas party we have a white elephant gift exchange, meaning bring something ugly, weird, whatever... Last year a guy showed up with a huge wrapped box, and when it was chosen and unwrapped it yielded a big White Elephant Lamp!!! How perfectly perfect!! It was even "stolen" by a later chooser because he had another gift exchange to go to! Laughter is a good thing!!

    :o) Beckie Daniels

    ReplyDelete
  2. AN ACTUAL WHITE ELEPHANT LAMP??? I am greeeen with envy.

    ReplyDelete