Thursday, April 23, 2020

VBP: Walk Down Memory Lane!!

By the time you arrive at your 71st birthday -- you look back at your life with some perspective.   Which, in some cases, brings regret. Mostly for the things you didn't do...

But, for me, that reflection makes me realize WHAT A LUCKY, LUCKY LIFE I've had. And some of my best memories are from the Sewing and Stitchery Expo in Puyallup, Washington.
At a planning meeting! Ann Sagawa (Education) me (Marketing) Joanne Ross (Founder and Chair) and Janet York (Operations)

Many of my VBP letters came from friends I made at Sew Expo...and this one, from Sandra who lives in Salt Lake City...provided me with a very special walk down Memory Lane...


****************
It is too bad that you can't celebrate your birthday as planned. It
sounded like a lot of fun. I read your blog every day, and really
enjoy you sharing your life so publicly. Although, with the many
thousands of people you have met over the past decades, you don't
remember me, I have had the pleasure of 'meeting' you on a number of
occasions.
Sandra -- you COULD be in this picture, right?

As a way of remembering events, here is the summary:
I was a faithful watcher of Sewing with Nancy, and first heard your
name on her show.  She was such an inspiration to those of us who
wanted to know more about our favorite hobby.
She was an inspiration for all of us, Sandra...


The next few were in conjunction with Sew Expo. (A group of us from
Salt Lake City just celebrated our 26th consecutive year).


This could be Sandra's group!!  OR -- it could be some Aussies...??
The Midwest YaYa Sisters?always the first class I put on my
registration. You and Mary were such a hoot, and your ideas were
wonderful. I am sure one of your memories was the time that you and
Mary forgot you had a class, and while some of the CTA's tried to find
you, Nancy stepped in, telling 'blond jokes', until you were 'found'.
(At Caitin's, as I remember). I was in that class. 
We LOVE doing our Ya Ya Sisters schtick!!

Years later, Mary and I returned the favor -- and the Midwest Ya Ya Sisters covered a show when Nancy wasn't able...

Mary and I are excited about doing our Ya Ya show at the Great Wisconsin Quilt Show next fall...!! (fingers crossed!).
The day that you were taking pictures in room A in the Pavilion, and
one of the attendees had a 'hissy fit' about her picture being taken.
I was close enough to hear the conversation between you two, and I
really don't know what else you could have done to appease her.
was, indeed, unfortunate.

The 'Rita Stalkers' (who were at Expo again this year),
Our stalkers surprised us at Nancy's Sewing Weekend in 2016...

Mary and I -- with Judy and Chris -- our "stalkers"

and the
infamous 'Hey, Rita' bag!
Jan Potter, the maker of the famous bag!  (which I AM STILL USING)..
The charity events, which were wonderful, by the way. I miss them.
The ?wear your zebra? days.

The day I won second prize in the Create Your Own Souvenir contest,
and you took my picture with John Deere. I embroidered an umbrella,
and received the wonderful box of Schmetz needles!!
I HAVE LOOKED for hours, hoping I could find a picture of John Deere's booth and that fabulous UMBRELLA...I am quite sure it's gonna turn up!!

There have been other times when you have been in the Schmetz booth at
various quilt shows, and at Quilt Market in SL (I remember that you
really liked eating at the Copper Onion.), and we chatted briefly.

My 'sewing sisters' and I often reminisce about how much you
contributed to Expo when we attend each year.

I have read some of your book recommendations, and particularly liked
?One Summer: America 1927?. We read it for book club, and everyone
really liked it.

Although this is rather lengthy, I just wanted to share my memories of
you on your very special day. Have a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RITA!!

Book Recommendation: BearTown by Frederik Backman (wrote ?A Man Called Ove)...

**********

WOW.  Thank you, Sandra for taking the time to remember all the times we met out there in the sewing world.  On the day I received your email, I was having a pity party because of our strange New Normal...and your email helped bring me out of my funk...

AND it gives me a chance to do this....THANK YOU, JOANNE ROSS -- for giving me the opportunity to be even a small part of Sew Expo.  Because you always saw the big picture -- the Sewing and Stitchery Expo became the largest consumer sewing show in the United States.  Wonderful classes, a jam-packed vendor floor, exciting evening events, worthwhile charity events...

And nobody had a better time than me.  GOOD JOB, YOU..!!


No comments:

Post a Comment