Monday, April 27, 2020

VBP: Thanks,Barb!!

At the top of the blog this morning -- I'm sending a COOKING SHOW GIFT to my friend Barb. She sent me THE MOST WONDERFUL LETTER on my birthday...but she ended it by saying she's not much of a cook.  However, the fact that she's making masks for her people (aren't we all?) -- and the way she talks about her grandchildren tells me she's a giver...and IT'S FUN TO MAKE FOOD FOR OTHER PEOPLE...here's my big tip --
MICHAEL SYMON -- does a new cooking show every day @ 5:00 on his Facebook page....
He's been doing his shows every day since the first day of NYC lockdown.  And OMG -- I AM LOVING HIM.  He's cooking in his own kitchen (or in his yard), every day -- a different dish from his childhood -- his Mom's Italian pot roast, or his Grandma's pizza...the other day he made a pierogi casserole.  His shows remind me about how much I used to enjoy Julia Child.  Just the simple act of COOKING FOOD...to share with people you love.
Symon is so natural and genuine -- he makes simple meals out of his pantry, or using what he can find in the market.  Last week, I delivered an entire meal to Elliott's house...(meatloaf, twice baked potatoes, roasted cauliflower..)  I've made many new things thanks to Michael Symon...homemade pasta, cavatelli,  ham gravy with biscuits...Paprikakash Chicken.  HE MAKES YOU BELIEVE ANYBODY CAN COOK delicious food!!
************
On my birthday -- Barb's gift to me...
Dear Rita,
I hope you get back some of the joy you send out to so many everyday via your blog.  

We've "talked" via email in the past but I'm sure you wouldn't remember.  Anyway, I read your writing every day - usually right after I read the news. I enjoy the contrast from the current situations with the insights into your very interesting life.  And these days that contrast is so very welcome!

I especially enjoy reading all the ways you engage with your grandkids - I have 6 myself, and am quite involved in their lives also.  You give me ideas for creating things with them. Can't wait to try the rock painting/distributing idea!  And last week I ordered Qwirkle for each of their families to give them a new game to try because of your recommendation.  It was a success!  I am certain that my grandkids will remember me as the Nana who was always doing crafts or sewing with them.  We are always painting something - often birdhouses and pots.  One year I had one whole wall (!) covered with fishes painted with dot paint marker.  (on paper - not directly on the wall!)  We called it the fish wall - and it was up for almost a year.  It was one of those "came out of nowhere" ideas that grew and grew.  

So today, after I listened to our fellowship's online service this morning, now I'll spend part of the day making masks - mostly for my family right now.  I absolutely appreciated the evaluation of fabrics being used for masks.  As a retired RN myself I have been hesitant to jump on board with making masks.  Besides, the elastic is impossible to obtain now.  But I use what I have, and improvise as necessary.  The first mask I made was from your improved pattern/instructions.  Much better than the other simpler mask patterns online.  Thank you for sharing both the instructions and the fabric information from your friend with the degrees in textiles.

I'm not much of a cook - I live alone so it seems rather unimportant to me usually.  But after looking at your popover recipe everyday on the side of your blog, I couldn't pass up a great popover pan at Goodwill.  I'll let you know how they turn out the next time I cook for my family!

Happiest of birthdays!  I consider you a friend.
************
THANK YOU, BARB...
AND -- Trust me -- EVERYBODY LOVES POPOVERS..!!
*******************
MMWI:  227.8

No comments:

Post a Comment