Sunday, April 12, 2020

The Weird EASTER 2020

This is a rare Sunday post....Mostly because nobody is having a normal Easter this year....And that really sucks.

Last year, Easter was about making an elaborate scavenger hunt for the kids. They had clip
boards -- they had to find things inside and outside...I wrote clues that rhymed, and I'd shopped for little gifts for each clue they figured out...It was EPIC.

But THAT was then.  And THIS IS now...

NOW -- of course -- everything has changed. No schools, no church, no group meetings, no big house parties...no retail stores, no restaurants, no beauty shops...well -- NO BIG FAMILY GATHERINGS... In my wildest dreams, I never imagined this scenario...

So, here's the thing.  I believe Lilly and Warren will remember the Easter of 2020 when they are old and gray.  THIS will be the Easter that sticks out of their childhood. So, instead of me doing something special for THEM.  I decided to create something special they could do for others. Something they would remember and be proud of.

Something that might help all of us deal with this new reality of "Social Distancing."...that weird new phrase nobody ever heard...ever...

I decided to ramp up an art project in the little park at the edge of my housing addition. My Dad donated this property to the City of Princeton 20 years ago -- and it is a largely ignored little roadside park.

The city did put up two signs several years ago...
The one on the corner says, "Little's Pineo Grove Park"
Anyway -- I did a hunt-and-gather in the basement...I found a few vinyl tablecloths the kids could paint hearts on. I had markers, tape, a staple gun...Then I ordered some signs and pinwheels from Amazon...
I set up a temporary work station...
To eliminate the bickering, I divided the hearts into two pieces...
We had to assemble the pinwheels.
The kids painted the vinyl signs...
Jeanne came to help...it's a lot of work to stick 50 pinwheels in the ground.
My surprise was this GIANT BEAR...I made him a facemask and a school t-shirt.
Then, we set up three chairs -- with red/white/blue hazard tape.
Jeanne and I had a "socially distanced" lunch break.
This is what it looks like from the road...
I would insert a picture of me, hugging my two grandkids...but, of course, THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN...because we were at the Social Distance Cafe...

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Most everyone I know have posted having a happy new-style Easter today. Glad you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, you are SO creative! I'm sure that your grandchildren will remember this forever! Our Easter was very special because we "Zoom'd" with all three daughters, son-in-law and granddaughter. Two of them live here in Washington, but the youngest lives in Kansas City. She set up the Zoom meeting for 2 hours and we used every minute of that. It was a a true Easter gift.
    KathyBB

    ReplyDelete