Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Steel Cut Oatmeal


Gas is LESS THAN A DOLLAR here in my neck of the woods.  Yikes.  Of course, we have stopped driving...we have no place to go...the whole country is on shut-down.  Recognizing this, many car insurance companies are giving rebates.  Liberty Mutual announced a 15% rebate...I think State Farm is doing 25%...

If you haven't been notified of a discount -- you might call your agent.  At least he still has a job, right?  You're actually helping him to look essential...

************

Okay -- while sharing my VBP guest emails -- OF COURSE I have to occasionally go off topic to write about food, kids, Frankensewing...whatever.

One of my favorite new things is STEEL CUT OATMEAL.

I've long been a fan of oatmeal. But, here's the thing. Steel Cut Oatmeal is to regular oatmeal as a Corvette is to a Chevette.

Same family -- but WAY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE.

I bought two different packages of Steel Cut Oats.  One cost over $6...the cheaper store brand cost $3...
I cooked a batch of each...using identical pots....and THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. Great. I'm perfectly happy with the generic store brand.
Cooking Steel Cut Oatmeal is very different....it simmers for about 20 minutes
I added a chopped apple and some dried cranberries during the last 5 minutes.
Chopped apple, cranberries and walnuts.  THIS IS GONNA BE AMAZING...
After it's cooked, I add a little honey...
And a LOT of cinnamon.
I let it sit in the pot, covered, until it's cool...and has absorbed all the liquid.
I love to eat it -- HOT -- with some cold milk.
Because I make a huge batch, I put some into baggies for the freezer.
I squish the bag -- so it will thaw quickly when I'm in the mood...
Honestly -- THIS IS EPIC. SOOOO delicious.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy a good bowl of oatmeal too. So now I will have to try the steel cut oats. As for Honey, I have my OWN . DH is a bee keeper and we have GALLONS of it on hand ;)
    CRAZY how cheap gas is, and yep, no place to go! LOL
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make my steel cut oats in a crock pot. A couple of hours on low and I have creamy, wonderful oatmeal. Even more so if I use milk as the liquid. Plus the cleanup is a whole lot easier. I have used my Instant Pot, but I didn't think the end product was as good.

    ReplyDelete