Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Social Distancing +Crying= The New Normal

Dear Readers,

Wow.  It's April 1st -- AND I WISH SOMEBODY WOULD JUMP UP AND SAY THE CORONAVIRUS IS A GIGANTIC APRIL FOOL'S JOKE...

But, no such luck.  I'm afraid this is our New Normal...

In the interest of full disclosure -- what you read in this blog is a sanitized version of my life.

So maybe you are under the impression that I am hop-scotch-skipping through this Coronavirus situation...making jokes about toilet paper and playing endless joyful games with my grandkids...

But, like all of you -- I am horrified by what's happening.   And terrified about how this thing is going to play out....And trying to figure out what I should be doing...to protect myself, to protect others...yet, still HAVE A LIFE...

So, this blog is about the day I started to cry...and could not stop....

Last week, I was worried about having the kids come to the house.

Mostly because after watching non-stop coverage of the pandemic, John believes children are radioactive...

Clearly,  this thing isn't going to be over any time soon.  My fear is that whatever I do AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME -- will become our new reality.  If I say "I can't have the kids this weekend" -- when will Lilly and Warren come back?  In a month?  Three months?...

Who am I kidding?  That will be the end of Grandma Camp.  The kids will establish new habits and patterns...and we'll never be able to turn back the clock.

So, instead, I called Emily and said if the kids are not sick, no fever, sneezing, coughing or sore throat -- I would pick them up at the usual time.

Then, when the kids got in the car, I told them we would have some new procedures from now on.

They came into the house -- walked to the Lego Room,  put the clothes they had been wearing down the chute...they took showers, washed their hair, and put on different clothes.

While they were here, John practiced social distancing (translation= he did what he usually does).

Obviously, our activities are very limited...no restaurants, no museums, no movies...as you well know.

John was not happy with ongoing Grandma Camp.  And, the kids weren't that thrilled, either (no where to go, and NO SCREENS??)

Saturday was full of bickering, bad attitude and rolling of the eyes...(by the children AND the adults)...
oh, yeah -- we ALL felt that way, buddy...
UGH.  (did I already say that?)

By the time I took the kids home, I was spent.  Really tired...and very, very sad.  AND -- I was SUPPOSED TO BE getting ready for my big birthday party on Sunday.  I'd pictured it in my head a hundred times....and who knew when or if it was going to happen?

In the car, driving home, I started to cry...and I couldn't stop.  Several hours later, I went to bed...but, ugh -- more crying.  I got up three times...finally, at 4:00, after CLEANING THE KITCHEN FOR AN HOUR...I was able to fall asleep.

Then, Sunday morning -- I opened my email...

What a difference a day makes...

Tomorrow -- I'll be sharing my Happy Dance...

No comments:

Post a Comment