Wednesday, April 15, 2020

VBP: Strangest Recipe

So -- how long have we been in quarantine? At least six months, right? Like all of you -- I'm trying to make the best of it...My friend Pat told me she thought this blog sounded like I was in a slump...and I guess that was true enough.

But, THANKS TO MY VIRTUAL BIRTHDAY PARTY -- I am feeling MUCH, MUCH BETTER.

Really -- the last two weeks have been almost exciting. I feel blessed, and I am so grateful for the life I have...I've received so many emails and phone calls...and every conversation makes me count my blessings. To have the life I have, and to live in the place I live...

I think Social Distancing is going to be part of our lives for a long time...but I'm getting used to it, and have enjoyed getting together with friends and family in this new, socially distanced way.

I've also joyfully embraced ZOOM...today, I'm doing a sew and tell with Mary Mulari and our friend Marion in Canada. (who is cutting up her husband's shirts to make aprons).

The biggest blessing? IT'S SPRINGTIME. The weather is changing -- so we're able to TAKE OUR VISITS TO THE GREAT OUTDOORS...and I have never appreciated my Iowa existence more.

Yesterday, I had another picnic lunch at a nearly abandoned parking lot with my cousin.  We had a safe-six-feet-apart visit.  We had a most wonderful catch-up.  It is shocking how much better I feel after some actual human contact...

I have also enjoyed MANY TERRIFIC, OLD FASHIONED phone calls. Wow. I forgot how enjoyable a REAL phone call can be...remember when we were teenagers -- and we talked on the phone for hours every night? As a newlywed, I walked all over my kitchen with that 13' cord...

Before Covid 19, communication had been reduced to texting, instagram, Facebook...and, I've gotta say -- I have loved having real, genuine, how-are-you-feeling-during-this-horrible-time two-way conversations with people.  As we hit this forced pause button  -- I'm just saying -- it's a really good time to CALL SOMEBODY...

***********

And, most importantly -- I am still basking in the glow of my Virtual Birthday Party...and I got a REAL kick out of Jill's email...
**********************
My gift to you is a recipe that I have had for many years. It came from the CEO of the hospital that I worked at. He submitted it for the hospital fundraising cookbook. He was an Iowa boy originally.
I hope you and your family make as many great memories with this recipe as my family has. We even served this when the minister came to meet with the family after my Dad died.

The minister’s comment was “this gives a whole new meaning to breaking of bread”. He even managed to work it into a sermon.

😂

When I make this sandwich, I usually do it the night before. I triple wrap it in Saran Wrap. Then when I cut it, I leave the Saran Wrap on. It keeps everything intact and easier to serve.

The biggest hint is to tell the person doing the honor of sitting on the sandwich not to be shy or delicate. It needs a good amount of pressure to keep the sandwich together.

You can make this sandwich your own by adding or subtracting things your family likes/doesn’t like. I add banana peppers for a little heat.

Happy Birthday and Enjoy!!!


Jill made the sandwich for a sewing retreat with friends...and she sent this picture of the special guest who had the honor of sandwich sitting...

TRUST ME, JILL -- When I'm allowed to have my actual birthday party -- I am gonna make this sandwich!! Thanks for giving me one more thing to look forward to!!

P.S....Rhonda, Mary and Deanna. You know that sewing retreat we talked about? THIS IS GONNA BE LUNCH ON THE FIRST DAY...

No comments:

Post a Comment