Saturday, July 20, 2019

Ronda's First Visit to the Salvation Army

So, I called Ronda and she brought her truck to my house. We loaded up the OLD table, and my plan was to drop it off at the Salvation Army. (frankly -- because of it's poor condition, I was afraid the Goodwill Store wouldn't take it.)

Ronda has never been in either one of these stores....(go figure!)

After we  put the old table in the (unmaned) donation area...I said, "why don't you park the truck and I'll run inside to see if they got your Kenmore yet."

Because -- to back up -- several weeks earlier,  Carrie asked me to be on the lookout for a good used machine for her 12 year old daughter.  The very next day, I found a nearly-unused Kenmore #158 for $25.   In the 1970's, my sisters Deena and Ronda and I all sewed on Kenmore sewing machines. (we recently realized we all had different versions of the #158.)  When I became a Viking dealer, my head was turned by all the expensive, fancy computerized machines, but I always regretted getting rid of my Kenmore...which I sewed on for 20 years...and LOVED....

When I showed that machine to Ronda, she really, really WANTED IT...

This machine is PERFECT for a beginner!!

It had all the accessories, and the Manual...the seam ripper was still in the original cellophane.
But this  machine was promised to Carrie. And there was no way I was going to disappoint my wonderful cleaning-lady, who, frankly, makes my life worth living...

Elizabeth was DELIGHTED with her new sewing machine...and I realized (thank you Facebook) that there are a LOT OF PEOPLE out there who still love and adore their reliable Kenmore#158's.  There were thousands of them manufactured...so I'll be on the lookout...

So, two weeks later, here we are, on this rainy night....at the Salvation Army, dropping off my OLD chrome porch table...

Ronda parked the truck...

And when she came inside...

No comments:

Post a Comment