Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Out of the Mouths of Babes...

So, the 2019 Grandma Camp is plugging along. As you know, I track down many "free" kids activities...the Parks Departments, and the area libraries...Other than a few Grandma Rita Melt-downs, things have been going pretty well.

Sometimes, the kids just like hanging out at the house. On this beautiful summer day, we played Monopoly for hours...
We get together with Uncle Ross every other week or so...
This was a local Food Truck event.
Ross set up lawn chairs and we ate a variety of different foods while we listened to music.
Lilly ALWAYS loves baking.
And, I have already admitted that we watch WAY TOO MUCH TELEVISION...
Besides the delicious popcorn -- we have some fascinating conversationa....
Take last Friday night....

I try to record movies I think the kids will enjoy...and we were considering our options...

I said:  We could watch "The Batman Lego Movie".

Warren: YES, YES, YES...

Lilly:  (groaning)  No, Warren, not again.

Me:  What's wrong with it, Lilly?

Lilly:  The hero is a rich, arrogant guy who is completely self-absorbed.

Of course, I deleted it immediately.

For awhile, we settled on the Nickelodeon channel.  But I'm not a big fan of  cartoons -- so when Spongebob morphed into a show I never heard of, I hit the pause button,

Me:  What's this show?

Lilly: The Loud House.  It's a good show, Grandma.  Not like the usual sexist cartoons.

Me:  (thinking, did she really just use the word sexist?)  What do you mean?

Lilly:  The Loud House is full of kids, and some of their friends are black or hispanic -- and his best friend has gay parents.  

**********

Later in the day, the kids were going to paint some jewelry boxes (it was over 100 degrees that day, so they did a treasure hunt in the basement)...

OF COURSE, They both wanted the same box...so I was trying to come up with a way for them to choose.  Lilly, of course, wanted me to pick a game she could win -- maybe three shakes or a card game.  I said, "no, it has to be a game of complete chance...like rolling the dice or drawing a card..."

Warren piped up and said, "Yes, Lilly.  Grandma has to be fair to the under-developed."

The three of us broke out laughing...Lilly was literally rolling on the floor...


He's a pip, our Warren....

And I think he's developing just fine...


No comments:

Post a Comment