Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Frankensew-ed Swimsuits

Ever since I went to Fat Camp in November 2016, I have been going to the pool four or five times a week.

I am SHOCKED that I've been able to incorporate this healthy habit into my life.

You won't be surprised when I tell you that I buy my swimsuits from thrift stores.  At this point, I must have about 30 suits....And, hey -- some work out better than others.

I am delighted to report that I have perfected the art of Frankensewing a swimsuit.

There is a big basket of thrift store swimsuits in my basement.  And I  often cut them up...for extra fabric...

Like this suit.  It had a typical problem -- TOO MUCH boob action...so this is a modification I've done many, many times.

This simple black swimsuit fit great, but was very low-cut. I added the colorful piece of lycra...and now it's one of my favorite suits.

This teal polka dot suit looked brand new -- but it was SO SHORT on me...my butt cheeks were exposed.  The answer was to make it LONGER...so I added the lime polka dot piece in the middle....and my usual band at the top of the boobs...now it's perfect.
This suit used to have a skirt (which I hate) -- but I cut that off -- then remade the too-low-cut part of the suit.
I often cut up two swimsuits to make one. Sometimes, the lycra wears out at the back seam of a suit, so I'll cut the bad part out and replace it with a new piece.

The other day, I wore a new suit for the first time -- and it seemed to fit fine.  But after an hour of exercising, I realized the armhole was rubbing.  So I cut it down, and sewed a matching strip of t-shirt knit around the armhole.  PERFECT.

Really -- it's EASY to refashion a swimsuit.  The biggest challenge of sewing on lycra is dealing with all those pesky skipped stitches.  The key to my happiness, OF COURSE, is starting with a new Schmetz STRETCH needle.  (I like the #75).

1 comment:

  1. Well, of course, you need to use a new Schmetz stretch needle :-)

    ReplyDelete