Monday, April 29, 2019

Our Last Night in New York City...

On Monday, April 8 -- we started at the TODAY show in Rockefeller Center at 4:00 AM...and by the time we ended, with Pommes Frites, it was after 11:00 PM.

I cannot imagine anybody packing MORE INTO ONE DAY than we did.

That night, when we came up from the subway at 50th Street...I realized THERE WAS NO OUTSIDE LINE UP AT ELLEN'S STARDUST DINER...!!

I hesitate to even blog about this place...because, clearly, social media has damn near ruined it. There is ALWAYS, ALWAYS a line out the door and down the block. I never got to take Lilly there...and last year, when I went with my sister Deena, her granddaughter Maddie and our friend Val -- it was a complete stroke of luck that we hit it on a rainy afternoon.

What makes it so special?   The wait staff SINGS. And these young people, who are taking your order and bringing your food -- all came to New York because they want to make it big on BROADWAY.  They are the cream of their high school crop...or their college glee clubs...But, in New York City, they are swimming in a MUCH BIGGER POND.  So -- between auditions -- and, right before they get cast in a hit musical -- they WORK AT ELLEN'S.

AND THEY ARE A.M.A.Z.I.N.G...
  

On the inside, there is a large balcony floor.
Last year, with my friend Jeff.  The waitress is standing inside a booth -- singing a song from Les Misserables...
My sister Deena, with her granddaughter Maddie...THIS is one of the places you always remember...
On this visit -- our waiter (Daniel) -- sang a song from the Broadway show, "Chess". 
Oh, yeah -- we were PRETTY DARNED PLEASED WITH ourselves...!!
It was, truly, the PERFECT ending to our most PERFECT day.

No comments:

Post a Comment