Monday, April 22, 2019

New York City Pictures: Day Two, Part Two

It's not often you experience a seminal moment -- and KNOW THAT'S WHAT'S HAPPENING.

But, on Sunday morning, April 7, 2019 -- at 10:32 AM -- I knew I was having one. After the four of us left Bergdorf Goodman's -- we walked across the street to the corner of Central Park. Nicole and Amy saw a vendor renting bicycles...

They turned to me and said, "can we ride bikes around the park?"

And I knew my work here was done. These two young women were completely at ease in this beautiful big city. Soooo far from their lives in Iowa. Yet they had the MTA app on their phone, they were completely comfortable going off on their own -- to ride bicycles all around Central Park.

I was so proud...

The girls got on their bikes and rode completely around the park.  They had theater tickets for 3:00 -- and I knew they would be able to find their way back to the hotel, and then the show with no problem.  I was so proud...
Jackie and I took a leisurely walk through Central Park.
It's still possible to get a carriage ride...
We took a city bus up to 77th Street -- not quite sure where it was...
But we were looking for THE GREEN FLEA MARKET..!!  I was there one time -- with my friend Marion -- and it has since been made famous by the show "Flea Market Flip".
This rug SOOO wanted to go home with me. But, at $800 -- it was just a little bit over my budget.
Jackie didn't buy the shoes, either.
This most incredible had COULD have been my NYC souvenir! ($80) But then, I remembered I never wear hats..
We left the flea market, and started to leisurely walk down the street -- enjoying the beautiful day -- when we STUMBLED ON TO AN ACTUAL THRIFT STORE..!!

Housing Works.  They had a little bit of EVERYTHING.
Jackie found a wonderful cotton dress...with many intricate, curved lines.  GREAT!
I would have bought these four chairs IN A HERTBEAT...
$50 for a pair!!  They were sooo interesting!
And who wouldn't love a white pleather "poof"...
AFTER the girl's broadway show (Come From Away -- which they LOVED)...it was on to our big food event of the day! CARMINE'S on 44th Street...
We made the BIG mistake of ordering the Sunday pasta special.  Four pastas for $60...and we did not make a dent in it.
My favorite picture of the four of us.  Carmines's was WONDERFUL...but the portions are killer.  Our meal was $148.  A bargain in any town.
Hamilton is still packing them in!! (it's right across from our hotel).
We walked through Times Square to get back to our hotel.  The girls power walked down to Macy's (they had exactly 23 minutes to shop)
I was ready to go to bed...tomorrow is a 4:30 AM wake up call!!

No comments:

Post a Comment