Saturday, October 27, 2018

NZ Letters...Featherweights

In November 2017, I was going down to Florida for my second annual visit to Fitness Camp. I wrote seven letters in advance of my trip to Florida...and set up my email to send one letter every morning.

This is the last letter I wrote to Nancy...

************
November 13, 2017
Dear Nancy,

Sometimes,  a person’s happiness (or sadness) can be measured by WHAT THEY DID NOT KNOW...

For example -- I came into the sewing business in the late 80’s when I opened a fabric store. My logic at the time was that EVERY STORE used to have a fabric department...Younkers, Penney’s, Sears...and nobody was doing that any more. So THIS WOULD BE A GOOD TIME TO OPEN A FABRIC STORE.
 
It never once occurred to me that they got rid of their fabric departments because of declining sales...Oops...

In this case, ignorance was NOT bliss...it was gonna be bankruptcy...

I soon realized I was never going to make enough money to pay my bills selling fabric -- so I became a Viking sewing machine dealer. I spent the next ten years touting the TOP OF THE LINE...Every new model that came out was my NEW FAVORITE MACHINE. The more features it had -- the better, right? I closed my store about the time machine embroidery was coming on to the scene.

Fast forward 15 years or so -- it was October 2014 -- when I encountered my first actual group of women sewing on their little Singer Featherweights. It was at an event in Waterloo, Iowa, and I was STUNNED...I mean, GOB-SMACKED...by the simplicity and beauty of these little vintage relics.
 
It had never once occurred to me that a simple, quality straight stitch sewing machine might be all a person needed...

Soon after that light-bulb moment, I bought a Featherweight at an estate sale for $150. It was in perfect condition...and I fell in love.

Then, I found a second Featherweight, which I bought for my sister Ronda. She is the one who nearly MANUFACTURES those ragged edge flannel blankets, and she wore out a Viking #1100, and then wore out a Babylock, too.
 
When we had our first Sister’s Sewing Weekend -- and my sister Deena used my Featherweight to piece a quilt she was making for her grandson. She bought her first Featherweight THAT SAME DAY -- on Craig’s List.

My sister Deb was there from Nashville. She has WORN OUT three top of the line Pfaff embroidery machines...and I never thought she would be a candidate for a Featherweight. But, she purchased her first Featherweight (a white one) on her way home to Tennessee...

Here’s the current tally:

Rita:  Two Featherweights
Ronda:  Three Featherweights,
Deena:  Five Featherweights (one of the rare free-arm machines, known as the #222),
Debra:  Two Featherweights (one white, one black)

Also, my TMBC crew ALL own Featherweights now (Sandy, Linda P., Linda K., Jackie, and Sharalan).

And, along the way, we found out that Singer also manufactured a wonderful wooden folding table that the Featherweight fits right into. The table is desirable, and much sought after. (it often sells for between $300 - $500 on ebay).
 
So, of course, we HAD to have that as well. As of this moment...my sisters and I all own ONE folding table.

When I think about all those years when I was a sewing machine dealer...thinking I knew so much, and it was all about the top of the line -- aargh -- sometimes less really is more...

Love,
Rita


******************

Next week, I'll be back from my exciting visit with my friend Marion. (IN CANADA)...and I'm going to resume a normal blogging rhythm.

There will be some Frankensewing...I'm pretty delighted with my velour projects....

and I haven't had a chance to tell you about some of my other Fall adventures!!

1 comment: