Wednesday, October 24, 2018

NZ Letters...(CIA)

October 28, 2017

Dear Nancy,

Before I finish writing about my brief career with the CIA -- I get to tell you about the dream I had last night.

I dreamed about you….and when I woke up, I remembered it. AND THAT NEVER HAPPENS. It was one of those wacky dreams that never makes any sense. I was staying at a beautiful hotel, but for some reason, didn’t want to PAY for coffee…so I was looking for a coffee cup that I could use. There was a beautiful big staircase, and I came floating down, wearing a billowing long skirt of some kind of chiffon fabric (obviously, I wanted to be inconspicuous as I was trying to steal coffee.) Then I saw you -- wearing an orange Chanel-like suit. You were beautiful…every hair on your head was perfect. You were sitting on a sofa off to the side of the room…we made eye contact, and you smiled at me...but you were, of course, surrounded by people, waiting for their turn to talk to you…

It's probably all about everybody being down in Houston for Quilt Market, eh? I imagine that's what it was always like for you, Nancy...hoards of people lining up to have their NZ moment...

Then I woke up.
****************

….when I left off my story, it was 1969 and I was about to take the FINAL step for my TOP SECRET security clearance with the CIA. As I went up those steps to CIA Headquarters, my stomach was in knots because this was THE LAST MAJOR HURDLE. The CIA thought they were so clever, hiding their headquarters behind a forest of trees, with an exit marked, “Bureau of Pubic Roads”. Anyway, getting on one of the little Blue Buses that ferried employees to and fro was a very big deal for me.
 
The final lie detector test was famous for washing out new recruits. But, I thought I ACE this sucker. Because, from all reports, the questioning centered around “do you smoke marijuana?” And, honestly -- I was the ONLY PERSON I KNEW who had NEVER smoked pot.

But, alas, altho they did ask those questions -- they were much more interested with my visitors from Wartburg College who came into town to participate in the Peace Demonstrations. Aarg…

The shocking thing at the time was that, clearly, they had, at the very least, tapped my phone. And it seemed like they knew so much -- they must have been following me. And I remember thinking, “DON’T YOU PEOPLE HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO??” Really? YOU THINK I’M SOME KIND OF THREAT TO THE GOVERNMENT?

Which, as it happens, was exactly what they thought. After that Lie Detector test, they told me the CIA didn’t want me.  And, oh, by the way, there were another 7 government agencies that also didn't want me. Because of my association with the peace movement, I would be black-listed from 8 government agencies.

I was incredulous. The day they delivered this news, they told me, in a very matter-of-fact way, “you cannot work for the Executive Branch of the US government and demonstrate against the President’s Policies.” Apparently,I'd missed that important memo...

Welcome to the Nixon Administration…

Tomorrow -- my CIA Cover Story…

*************
I imagine you are getting daily reports from Houston, Nancy...I know you are being missed down there. I hope you got to see your grands this weekend...it's been ALL ABOUT HALLOWEEN around here.

Tomorrow, I might have to take a break from my fascinating, albeit BRIEF CIA career to write about Lilly's costume...

Love,
rita

****************
My dear friend Rita, 

Tomorrow I hope to give you a call. I so love your letters and I wish I could respond to each of them but please, please write the CIA story for your grandchildren. No, write all of it for your grandchildren.

That was a cute summary of the dream. I’ll have to give orange a try.

Consider yourself hugged,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment