Monday, October 29, 2018

My trip to Syracuse on United

This week is going to be ALL ABOUT MY CANADA VACATION. I was really looking forward to this little get-away. Marion and I had been planning this for months...and there is nothing I enjoy more than catching up with a good friend.

Tuesday, I got up at 4:00 AM to leave on my 6 AM flight from Moline to Chicago. Then, a 2 1/2 hour layover until my flight to Syracuse, New York. Marion picked me up and we drove two hours to Kingston, Ontario. Then, I reversed the whole process on Saturday...
 
Here's the thing. I LOVE TO TRAVEL. Really. I know it ain't what it used to be -- and I don't see how they could possibly make the airplane seats any smaller. But, still, I LOVE TO TRAVEL.

I'm pretty laid back when things go wrong. The truth is -- THAT'S often where the most memorable stories come from -- right??

I always travel with books to read. When I got on my first United flight out of Moline, I started the 1987 biography of Dorothy Parker.

I started reading it on the plane...but it was a short flight...
And, I was SO EXCITED to have two free passes into the United Club!! When we landed in Chicago, I could hardly wait to GO TO THE CLUB.
We landed in the B Concourse...and the United Club is in the C Concourse...
And IT WAS SPECTACULAR.!
Free newspapers!
Delicious assortment of breakfast foods...
And beverages...
Comfy chairs, great views, good reading lamps...
A full bar!!
FREE COFFEE..!!
I settled into a chair, and then realized I LEFT THE DOROTHY PARKER book on the plane!
By the time I realized what I'd done, it was too late to go back to that gate...and I'd probably lose my opportunity to use the United Club...Damn...

Oh well -- there's no point in crying over spilled milk. I had to let it go.  I started to read my Plan B book...and settled in to enjoy my very rare United Club perk...

After two hours in the club, it was time for me to find the gate for my connecting flight.  I went to C-3, and waited for my group to board the plane.  As I got up to the counter, the attendant scanned my boarding pass and his face lit up.  He said, "You're Rita Farro?"

I said, "that's right."

He reached under the counter and said, "I believe this belongs to you." and he pulled out my Dorothy Parker book.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

Really.  When's the last time you heard a story like that?

Well done, United Airlines!!





1 comment: