Monday, January 18, 2016

Monday Housekeeping Tip

Awhile back, I wrote this post about cleaning my vintage silverplate....and I have a LOT OF IT...

I am a sucker for an elegant, beautiful, round soup spoon. I started collecting them 15 years ago when my sisters and I went to Ireland. Finding one is always a thrill for me...and finding a matching set?? Well...you can just about imagine!!  I discovered on ebay that these spoons are sometimes called "gumbo spoons"....AND I LOVE THEM...
I have A LOT OF old silverplate...and it gets very tarnished.
Unlike Seabass -- nobody wants a blackened spoon.
For me, one of the thrills of finding vintage linens is washing them and bringing them back into my normal homemaking rotation.  And I feel the same way about my vintage silverplate....I have tried many products over the years...most of them very time-consuming.

Then, of course, in the new world we live in -- PINTEREST showed me a better way....

Here it is: De-tarnish ALL your silver at once... line your sink with aluminum foil, add 1/2 c table salt, 1/2 c. baking soda, fill with hot water, then dump in all your silver! Let sit for about 30 min. The tarnish all transfers to the foil! 
Hey -- I HAVE ALL THOSE THOSE THINGS. LET'S DO IT!!

 
Instead of using my sink -- I used a cake pan.
And I did exactly what Pinterest told me to do...
Pretty impressive, eh?
And -- oh -- I also collect unique spooners...
For me -- many things qualify as a spooner....it can be a vase, or a large mug...I think this was actually intended to BE a spooner...every now and then, it's important to do something conventional and expected...

1 comment:

  1. I have a few Spooners, too....and a few things I USE as Spooners......;) SISTERS at Heart we are......<3

    ReplyDelete