Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Ree Drummond Coffee Cake

The 2014 Porch Party Reveal started with breakfast inside the house (you've gotta eat those popovers the MINUTE they come out of the oven). Then -- we moved the party OUT TO THE PORCH. Of course, there should be dessert for this special occasion.

As I was planning the meal, I thought about my Mom's old-fashioned "coffee cake". When I looked it up recipes on the internet -- Ree Drummond (Pioneer Woman) came up - and I have had good success with her ideas and recipes. This one looked like exactly what I had planned....
Although I cheated and used a yellow cake mix -- the key is the TOPPING...and I'll put the recipe at the end of this post...
Because the trees have grown so big around the porch -- even on a very hot day -- there was a breeze and it was comfortable on the porch....
The hummingbirds were buzzing at all the feeders...and we all remembered the 60's with this coffee cake...
The topping kind of melts down, and the cake comes up around...it was DELICIOUS and moist...
The PERFECT ending to the PERFECT PORCH PARTY...please note Aunt Rozella's silver...
Here is the topping for this most delicious coffee cake:

1 1/2 sticks of butter (just do it)
1 1/2 cups of walnuts (Ree used pecans)
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
3/4 cups of flour
2 tbl. cinnamon
Use a pastry blender to cut it all together...

I made a cake mix -- spread this topping on -- and baked according @350 for 40 minutes.  It looks like way too much...but I  needn't have worried.  It was perfect.  THANKS AGAIN, PIONEER WOMAN....

No comments:

Post a Comment