Tuesday, October 31, 2017

My Labor/Delivery Nurse

As Lilly was picking out the pictures of Uncle Ross for her collage -- this was her favorite!
Now that Ross is working as a nurse in the Birth Center,   it's time to remind him of HIS birth story...and, oh, yes, what a difference a nurse makes...

When he was born, he weighed 10 lb. 3 oz. Yikes.

Because we had no insurance, we were paying CASH for our hospital stay.  Which meant I was in a ward with four other brand-new-mothers-of-babies.

It was 1977, and I was the ONLY mother in that room who was nursing her baby.

Also, Ross was born with a high bilirubin, so they had to put him under the light, in an incubator. (a 10 pound baby looked ridiculous in there.)

On the second morning, nurses brought the other four babies into their mothers so they could get a bottle.

But nobody brought MY baby to me...and I asked two nurses...

When a different nurse came into the ward, I asked again, "Where's my baby? Is somebody bringing him to me? He must be hungry."

She looked at me and said, "Oh, you mean the Farro baby? We call him the Jolly Green Giant -- I just passed him in the hall. He's walking down now..."


No comments:

Post a Comment