Monday, October 30, 2017

Kids, Cakes and Celebrations

First of all -- HOW IS IT POSSIBLE I HAVE A CHILD WHO IS 40 YEARS OLD??!! Yikes. Where did that time go, eh? It seems like just yesterday, John and I were living in our first house in Pine Grove, Pennsylvania. Ross was born on October 23, 1977. He weighed 10 lb. 3 oz. (more about that tomorrow).

Anyway -- last Monday was his 40th birthday. And I wanted to do something special. He is often on-call at the hospital, so I wasn't sure if he'd be home or not...

But -- you know the drill. If there's a Farro Birthday -- THERE WILL BE A CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH PEANUT BUTTER ICING...
I'd picked up Lilly and Warren after school that day so they could help make the frosting for the cake.
They also had made a special gift...
Mostly, Lilly made the gift...but Warren DID wrap it.
Lilly picked the photos from my computer, and we had them printed at Walgreens, then she cut them up and pasted them onto this canvas. Great idea, eh? (thanks, Kim!)
Lilly took a picture of us, to commemorate the day...
Lilly LOVES cake decorating...but the peanut butter icing is too soft to write with. But she WANTED to write Happy Birthday on top of the cake...so, hummm...there's always a way -- right?
How about using a carrot? I made some slivers, and some shavings, sliced a few circles...PERFECT!! (I like to think of this as my vegetable serving for the day).
Ross said he didn't mind turning 40. For him, turning 30 was bad. And I think that's because he likes where he's at in his life right now. He pushed the "reset" button on his life, went back to school, became a Registered Nurse, bought his first home...and he's in a good place.

And, I think being a nurse in the Birth Center is a job where you feel like you make a difference...like, for example, the nurse I HAD on the day HE WAS BORN...

I'm still telling that story, 40 years later...

(tomorrow's post)...
*******
MMWI:  229.4  ugh.  Chocolate cake, peanut butter icing AND Halloween candy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment