Monday, February 24, 2014

Textile Artists

There is ALWAYS SOMETHING going on around here.  A few weeks ago, after our usual exciting breakfast-at-the-grocery-store-and-catch-up-with-each-other's-lives...our Tuesday crew headed across town to the Fairmount branch of the Davenport library. A textile art group meets there once a month. Lin went last month -- and she said the ladies were amazing.

Did I mention it was 20 below zero that day? Hey -- WHAT ELSE ARE WE GONNA DO??  Actually, it's even too cold to go snowboarding...

So -- we went to the library. Even though I am a bit jaded about textile art. I love it -- but in the last 20 years, I've written about and worked with the best textile artists in the country. I've seen a lot of things come and go -- recycled denim, painted silk, felted sweaters, prom gown challenges, needle felting, embroidered beads, fabric jewelry...

And who are we kidding? My name is Rita Farro and I am addicted to t-shirt fringe...

My point is -- I walked into the meeting feeling a little smug....I have been there and done that. It was going to be hard to impress me...right?

Wow.  I can get pretty full of myself....

And, I am pleased to admit I WAS WRONG...There were about 30 women in the room -- and they took turns sharing what they were working on.  I was blown away by the big variety of projects and techniques...
A mixed-media journal -- using tickets, cartoons, zentangles, painting...I LOVE THIS IDEA...What a wonderful, creative way to capture a "year in the life"...she used a lot of quotes. 
About a dozen of the women were showing off the needle-felted cuffs they'd created that morning during one of their "fun day"sessions...
One woman shared a whimsical landscape quilt...
ZENTANGLE is going to be my new passion -- and I have a Pinterest board with over 500 fabulous quotes.  What a great way to use them!! I AM IN LOVE...
This box is full of fabric beads from an earlier "fun day" session  Can you see how they used the smallest scraps of fabric to create beads?  Still don't get it??
Here's the magic -- they glue the fabric around a drinking straw!!  HOLY COW...Genius.  Why didn't I think of that??  You wrap the fabric, and glue it -- THEN cut it down to size.
This is a close-up shot of some of the wristlets.  As they were doing the needle felting, instead of working the felted sweater as a flat piece, with a brush underneath -- they left the cuffs in circles, and put them onto swimming noodles.  GENIUS, RIGHT??

No comments:

Post a Comment