Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pat's Cook Book Surprise

One of my favorite movies is Forrest Gump. And one of my favorite lines from the movie is when Forrest says, "Life is a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get."

And that's how I live EVERY SINGLE DAY. But, one day, an actual REALLY BIG BOX came to my house. It was so heavy because it was jam packed with books. Cookbooks. Of all kinds...with some silly titles....What a treasure trove!!
So, to add to the fun -- I took it with me to Tuesday morning breakfast...
We opened the box, and decided who would get what...I thought of my friend Marion with this one...
Years ago, Marion and I were on a road trip -- shopping at an Outlet Mall in New England. She found some great deals on cashmere sweaters...or maybe it was a cashmere blanket or throw (Marion has a LOT of cashmere). I admitted I'd never worn cashmere. She seemed surprised. I said, "do you know how many goats would have to die for me to have a cashmere sweater?"
OF COURSE Pat would send this title to her Iowa friend...
The box was sent to me from Olympia, Washington. My friend Pat, who is simply the BEST COOK I EVER MET...was purging her enormous collection. When Joanne Ross was the textile part Pierce County Extension -- Pat was her cooking counterpart. Pat is retired now -- but she used to have her own radio show, and write a newspaper column. Long after she retired, she was still teaching cooking classes at a local gourmet market. PAT LOVES TO COOK...it is the music in her life.

And cooking, like sewing, is always better when you SHARE.  I will never be as good a cook as Pat is -- but I know the thrill of planning a wonderful meal for people I love...or taking a delicious pot of soup to a sick friend....baking cupcakes with Lilly.  I can't imagine my life without cooking.

Or SHARING...

So, THANKS, girls, for playing my "who-wants-another-cookbook-game"....
And, of course, thanks, Pat, for all your help with recipes and cooking advice. My kitchen is a kinder, gentler place because of you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment