Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Jay Ohland Sandwich

Among some of the whining, complaining emails I received last week -- Karen wrote to thank me for her new FAVORITE SANDWICH...lol.    She ate it last summer after reading about it here -- and this year -- she made this sandwich with the first tomatoes from the garden.  Even before her BLT!!  She'd never heard of such a wacko combination -- and she LOVED IT. 

This is the season for the BEST SANDWICH known to man. And maybe the strangest...

Years ago, I worked for a wonderful architect with a great sense of humor who loved to cook -- Jay Ohland.  He and his wife Elsa taught me many things about cooking and canning. Every year, when the tomatoes are ripe, I look forward to eating this sandwich...and I think about Jay and Elsa...



Yes -- that's white bread. I prefer the large cottage loaf...really fresh...

Spread mayo on one piece of bread -- and crunchy peanut butter on the other piece. THEN, all you need is some thick slices of delicious, ripe tomatoes...

THAT'S IT. Heaven. I'm telling you. Absolutely delicious. There's something about the salty peanut butter and the tangy mayonnaise...it is the PERFECT combination.

THIS is the sandwich you'll get hungry for in the middle of a cold Iowa winter...but you can only enjoy this sandwich when the tomatoes are fresh and ripe from your garden.

TRUST ME...and -- hey -- Thanks, Jay!

No comments:

Post a Comment