Saturday, August 17, 2013

Friends

Without my Sew Expo job -- my life is my own. It is an amazing thing. I can do whatever I want...

My women friends have always been important to me but I've been so busy the last coupla years, I wasn't as good a friend as I could have been.  So my mission this summer was to check the pulse of my friendships.   HEY -- people change. They move on. I get that. The hard part is knowing when you should push the NEXT button...

AND -- IT HAS BEEN SUCH A TREAT.  What a joy it has been to plan a catch-up visit once a week with a friend...old or new...

On this stunning summer day -- my friend-catch-up involved a ROAD TRIP!! BONUS...!! I have a wonderful book on tape (and a back-up). I took this picture of John's Hibiscus plant as I was leaving early that morning...


I left Princeton, Iowa -- drove across the Mississippi River -- two hours East on I-80, surrounded by Illinois cornfields...


Yes, that's a necklace hanging from my mirror...I LOVE IT...

My friend Becky was driving WEST from Chicago for two hours -- and we will hook up in DeKalb, Illinois. She told me to meet her in a parking lot of the Schnuck's grocery store -- but GUESS WHAT STORE IS RIGHT NEXT DOOR?? Yippee...I was 20 minutes early. (Yes, there is a God and I'm pretty sure she is a Goodwill shopper.)


Last year, Becky fought her way through a double bout of cancer....and NOW SHE IS DRIVING A CONVERTIBLE...

Neither one of us knew much about DeKalb -- but it didn't take long to find this beautiful park! It was a stunning summer day...all we wanted was a shade tree, a little breeze and some time together...

Becky is THAT GIRL. A lifetime friend...who really knows me and is interested in my life. And vice-versa. We were 18 years old when we met -- and no matter how long we are apart -- the minute we get into the same room -- we pick right up where we left off. She always makes me feel like I amEXACTLY WHAT SHE WAS WISHING FOR that day. She is a wonderful friend -- well-intentioned and kind....and so damned funny!!

If it's true that laughter is nature's best anti-depressant -- we are both good for a coupla months...

We had SO MUCH TO CATCH UP ON. After THREE hours of non-stop talking -- we were starving. We found a WONDERFUL little Thai restaurant right in the middle of town. The soup was amazing...

My friend Marion always says "why would anybody write fiction -- when the truth is so bizarre."...and Becky's story proves that point...here it is....

Becky was raised on a farm in Iowa. When she left for college (she was the youngest)-- her mother left her father and moved to Chicago. Becky's Mom fell in love with and married a man who was 25 years younger than she was. Oh, yeah -- he was black and he used to be a priest.

See what I mean??

It was a brilliant day and I am blessed to have such a wonderful friend....

And if you are lucky enough to have a Becky in your life -- CALL HER RIGHT NOW...!!

No comments:

Post a Comment