Thursday, August 29, 2013

Granny Smartphone

To celebrate her first week of school (Pre-K is now mandatory in Iowa) -- Lillian and I went to Clinton, Iowa for Sunday breakfast. It was a very busy after-church crowd -- and every table was FULL at our favorite little joint.

We waited patiently. The table right next to us had four well-dressed old people. (75+ is my guess)

At one point, woman #1 asked woman #2 to "google " something. Woman #2 apparently has a new I-phone...

Killing time while they waited for their food -- the three tablemates looked at the screen of her I-phone and laughed. Then she showed them some pictures from her Gallery.

I remember thinking how great it was that the old woman was tech savvy. GOOD FOR HER. I consider myself a late-adapter...and embracing new technology can be a challenge.

Then it happened. Just as the waitress delivered their food -- the smartphone rang.

Woman #2 answered her phone. She is actually sitting less than 3 feet from me -- so I can hear every word -- along with her tablemates. All other conversation at that table stopped instantly.  The three other old people were eating in silence -- as Granny Smartphone prattled on, oblivious to their discomfort...

SHE TALKED FOR SEVENTEEN MINUTES.  Are you kidding me?? The caller was her granddaughter (she announced that when the phone rang).  The topics they covered (in no particular order) -- included the weather, the garden, a shopping trip to K-Mart, a family wedding and why nobody wants Uncle Jerry to come to Thanksgiving dinner...

OH MY GOD.  HOW RUDE IS THIS??   HANG UP THE DAMNED PHONE. LIVE IN THE MOMENT.  LOOK AROUND...YOU ARE PISSING OFF EVERYBODY YOU CAME WITH... WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??

Granny clicked off the call with a big smile on her face -- but her three friends were up and out of their seats. They were fuming....and clearly -- what started out as a cordial, chatty meal had been ruined. Granny asked the waitress to put her skillet breakfast (now cold congealed eggs...ugh) in a box.

I think it is RUDE to answer my cellphone when I am actually WITH A REAL PERSON.  It makes the person you're with feel less-than.  I know because it's happened to me a thousand times.  At this point in my life --  I leave it in my car when I'm meeting friends.

I am going to write the TEN COMMANDMENTS of cellphone etiquette for old people...


No comments:

Post a Comment