Saturday, January 18, 2014

My Magical Yellow Quilt

I am not a quilter. And if it hasn't happened to me by now -- it probably isn't going to.  But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a beautiful quilt when I see one.
Quilt Expo in Madison, Wisconsin...the first weekend in September. A STUNNING quilt show...

And some quilts have been warm and fuzzy friends in my life.  The corduroy lap quilt Grandma Dodds gave me when I went away to college still lives in a bag on the top shelf of my closet...

For 20 years, this lightweight yellow quilt was a daily part of my family life. It's probably from the 30's or 40's.  The background is butter yellow -- and each block is different calicos. If one of my boys was sick, or sad, they would lay on the sofa, and I'd cover them with this quilt -- like it had some kind of magical powers...


But, alas, the quilt is WORN OUT.  It's been folded up and unused for the last ten years...

 
The outside edges were completely worn away...there really was NO binding left...
I look at this tattered quilt, and I see nine year old Elliott, falling asleep on the sofa after an exhausting day of riding his bike all over the neighborhood and helping his Grandpa mow grass. I knew I should wake him up -- or he wouldn't sleep well that night. (Sleep has always been an issue). But instead, I'd cover him up with the yellow quilt...
One square was beyond repair....the fabric was totally GONE...
This quilt was always about peace and comfort....and it isn't doing anybody any good folded in a drawer...

I'm going to try to fix it.....I think I can do it....

I'm going to start with a dig on T-shirt mountain....

No comments:

Post a Comment