Friday, January 3, 2014

My Favorite Coat

One of the jobs that always befuddles me is how to MANAGE PHOTOS on my computer. Ugh. I have folders and files -- some with actual titles, like, "Book Club" but more often -- just with dates.

I can spend hours trying to find a particular picture. Something I knew I had, but could not remember what file it ended up living in....

Last week, while looking for some Sew Expo pictures -- I found these two random photos. Originally, when I took them -- three years ago -- I wanted to blog about the clever way I added some bling to my favorite coat....but, then, of course, the pictures got lost in the shuffle....and I'm lucky I ever saw them again!!

I have TWO black boiled wool coats. One is a short swing coat I got at a thrift store -- and the other is a long, classic Geiger coat that I made Sandy buy one day. When she realized it was too big for her, she gave it to me. (yes, I know it sounds like I set a clever trap.)

HEY -- this year, with our temperatures at zero and BELOW -- I wear the long Geiger almost every day. There is nothing warmer than boiled wool. But these two pictures are about my short swing coat. It is a Carole Little -- and has great lines -- a modified swing style. It is lightweight, yet VERY warm. And it's perfect with whatever I'm wearing. But, c'mon -- it IS boring. The buttons are simple...

And, the BEST way to totally change any coat or jacket is to simply change the buttons. But the biggest problem with that idea is that you must find buttons that will work with the existing buttonholes...and that can be an impossible task....
And, if you know me by now -- you know I have NO INTENTION OF MAKING NEW BUTTONHOLES...
However, in the hope that I'd have some exciting buttons, I went to my stash -- and found the perfect thing. These buttons were handmade -- I bought them at a Quilt Market about ten years ago. They were just WAITING for this perfect moment. Because when I laid them down on the coat -- I realized I didn't have to change the old buttons at all....
I simply sewed the fancy buttons on the placket -- in between the working buttons....
Yes, I know...you are having an irresistible urge to applaud, aren't you?? YES, every now and then -- sewing and LIFE -- can be just that easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment