Friday, January 10, 2014

Arctic Carseat Blanket #2

I was so excited about Warren's Arctic Carseat Blanket -- I decided to make one for our neighbor's baby.

I looked around my stash -- which, as you know, is mostly a recycled-clothing-Goodwill-Thrift-Store MOUNTAIN that is in my basement, holding up my house. I didn't have another piece of fleece -- but I dug up several fleece robes. (Hey -- on quarter day at the Goodwill -- WHO CAN RESIST A SUPERMAN BATHROBE??)

Let's think about this for a minute. Starting with a child's robe has some benefits. I'll cut off the sleeves and use them for the bottom fold-up...then, I'll line it with some cut up sweatshirts to make it warmer. This robe has a nice shawl collar, two pockets, a tie on the inside, a second tie on the outside...maybe the ties will work so well I won't need the velcro...

Like so many babies -- this little guy goes to daycare. On a cold day (and we're having A LOT OF THEM) -- he is bundled up in a snowsuit. Of course, if he falls asleep in the car -- his Mom lifts the carseat out of it's cradle and carries it in. Wearing a snowsuit, he will quickly become overheated...but getting him OUT of the snowsuit will surely wake him up.

OH MY GOD -- have you ever seen a cuter baby?? I think he loves his new carseat blanket...
The beauty of this new system is that when they arrive at their destination, they just open the robe...

The robe didn't have a hood -- so I sent a little red hat as well...
Good job, buddy!! You have been a most excellent model....thank you for playing my sewing-for-baby game!!
HE LIKES IT!!  He's looking at Ross...with a smile that would melt your heart...
You can barely see it -- but I sewed a CUBS logo on the right side. Ross tries to make EVERY KID a Cubs fan!!

I learn something new with every carseat blanket...and WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE CARSEAT BLANKET #3...I'll give you a hint -- it STARTS with a Jones of New York Velvet COAT....

The thing that makes the carseat blanket so genius are the slits in the  center back that accommodate the five-point harness.  I have ONE MORE carseat blanket to share with you -- and then I will post a bit of a pattern.  Because, once you figure out the slits in the back -- YOU COULD CUT UP ANYTHING. 

No comments:

Post a Comment