Tuesday, October 26, 2021

The Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio Grand Opening

Sorry for all the blank pages. But, no worries -- things are fine here. As good as they can be, considering.

I'm trying not to let Alzheimer's control every aspect of my life..but sometimes that's easier said than done.

For example -- going to Beaver Dam for the unveiling of the Nancy Zieman mural and the Grand Opening of the new Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio.

Mary, Deanna, Rhonda and me...

Beaver Dam, Wisconsin has a special place in my heart. Mary introduced me to her good friend Nancy, and I can show you the exact spot where Nancy drove up in her mini-van, with Tom in a carseat, to pick me up for one of my first seminars -- How To Dress With Style When You Feel Like Cher But Look Like Roseanne.  (Tom is married now, with three children.)

I've made that trip many times. It's about a 3 hour drive -- and Mary and I often did our Ya Ya show at Nancy's Sewing Weekend.

As much as I wanted to go -- traveling with somebody who has Alzheimer's is NOT easy. If I tell John in advance, he can get very obsessed and negative about it. But waiting until the last minute makes it hard for anybody else to make plans.

And a lot depends on whether or not John is having a "good day". ugh...

So, I just had to wait to see what kind of a day it was gonna be...When John got up, I made his oatmeal, we fed Frankie, and I told him we were taking a little road trip to Wisconsin. Although I tried to explain why this weekend was special, John had no idea what was going And, I might add -- no interest. That's one of the hard things about Alzheimer's...he has no interest in anything anymore.

Here's the thing. The ribbon cutting ceremony was scheduled for Friday, October 15th at Noon...and we arrived at 11:57.

WOW.

It just doesn't get any better than this, people. I am SO GLAD we went. People were very patient and kind with John. He sat with Deanna's father for over an hour (he was wearing a green John Deere hat).

It was raining...I got under the umbrella with Mary and Rhonda (John sat in the car.)

Mary's husband Doug took this picture.

Nancy's mural is in the parking lot right behind the NEW Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio

Rhonda, Mary, me and Deanna. The two guys are Deanna's husband, Dennis, and Nancy's husband, Richard (who hosted the dinner and COOKED all the food).

This fall has been full of lessons for me...and what I learned that weekend is that I sometimes must do what I want to do...even if it doesn't suit John. Sure, he's going to pout and be pissy...

But, the truth is, even if I'm sitting in the living room with him, watching endless reruns of the Lone Ranger, he will pout and be pissy...

And just think what I would have missed...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rita. So happy that you went to Beaver Dam for the unveiling of the Nancy Zieman mural and the opening of the Sewing Studio. I appreciated seeing the pictures of you and your friends and the star attractions. I hope you will be able to the occasional day trips such as this with John. sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you got to take that trip, Rita! I'm glad, also, that John was at least cooperative if not interested in what was happening. It was a good break for you, I know, and such fun for you to see Mary, Rhonda, and Deanna again!

    This past weekend, I decided I needed to take over Ron's pills, as he was sometimes not getting them quite right... And we spent Sunday morning in the ER for possible heart-related stuff, but he's okay and home again, and doing a bit better. Not Alzheimer's with Ron, so a different kind of challenge, but a challenge, nonetheless.

    Keeping you in prayer, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tribute to a great lady! I went to Nancy's Sewing Weekend with the women in my family most years for 25 years. I remember your wonderful session and still covet the fabulous jacket you made out of curtains. The YaYa Sisters was always a favorite. One time you sat next to me and my family at the Lutheran church while you waited for Mary Mulari. My sister and I felt comfortable enough with you to joke around with you within minutes. So glad you got the chance to go to the unveiling! I'll have to go see the mural. I live a little over an hour from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dearest Karlalala, Thanks so much for the memories...you made my day. I am still making jackets out of curtains. DO PLAN a trip to see Nancy's mural! And maybe I'll see you at one of the events at Nancy's Sewing Studio!! FINGERS CROSSED...

      Delete