Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Power of Words

Every year, instead of a New Year's Resolution -- I embrace a single word. And that becomes my sort-of-a-mantra for the year. Awhile back -- NEXT was my chosen word. It was about letting go of a crappy situation and moving on. And, I was always that girl -- who was excited about what was going to happen in my near future. I believed the NEXT thing would be something good....a better thing...an improvement. So, the word NEXT made me happy...

Then, a few years ago, my word was PATIENCE. John's dementia was coming on, and there were daily struggles. PATIENCE was what I needed...and having that word in the center of my thinking...every single day...helped me to stop arguing, walk away....to count to 10....to push the pause button....

Words save me. I am working hard to get to a new place...and the word I'm trying to embrace and live is ACCEPTANCE...and this has been a challenge.

But it is what it is (remember -- I made a shower curtain with that sentiment?)

John has Alzheimer's. It's a funny thing, because he can present as very normal -- and he works hard to pretend he understands conversation, or recognizes people. But, sometimes, he doesn't know how many children we have. The other day, he was shocked to discover that President Kennedy was shot....and he brushed his teeth with Neosporin.

He doesn't know who my sisters are...and claims he has never seen or met Carrie (who has been my cleaning lady for 25 years).

If we are at a restaurant, I show him where the bathroom is, but he'll get lost walking back to the table.

His friend Don takes him to breakfast every single week, but John cannot remember his name...

But -- on the bright side -- John is in no pain. And he has been able (with Cal's help) to work in the yard, burning brush and even mowing the grass. (Cal has to start the mower).

And this is what I know for sure -- we are never going to have a better day than this day.


                                      Acceptance.

4 comments:

  1. As always, you are in my thoughts, and I am always sending long-distance hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Rita. You can only do what you can do. You're in my prayers, as is John and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes.... This ! <3 Big hugs dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Rita. You are handling all this with a great deal of grace and dignity (even though some days it may not feel like it) and, may I say, humor. I occasionally have some issues with my husband, too--not Alzheimer's but some cognitive impairment and frontal lobe partial seizures which can cause lapses. Most of the time, he does fairly well, but now and then I have to remind myself, it's the disease, not him....

    Acceptance. You've got that right. You continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete