Monday, June 14, 2021

My Franken-Chair

I am DELIGHTED to be writing an actual blog post about something CREATIVE.

This is all about my Franken-chair...

We are moving into our new Co-op this fall -- and our floorplan has a very open living/dining area. So I've spent many hours online, looking at swivel chairs.

It's not hard to buy a swivel chair -- and they start at about $400....But 95% of them will be beige, brown, gray or black. Ugh...

To buy a chair with a little more personality, you'd have to spend $1,000.

But the truth is -- even the really really expensive swivel chairs ($15,000) did not really appeal to me.

Then, I realized people are selling the swivel mechanism on Etsy. WHA?? Maybe I could make my own swivel chair...Hummm...

Remember -- the inspiration for our new home is this rug:


I LOVED THE RUG so much -- I spent the winter painting my vintage buffet to MATCH it...

So -- FIRST -- I need to find a slipper chair that I could easily recover. Then I'll buy a swivel mechanisms from Etsy and have Ross put it on the bottom of the slipper chair. Voila!!


At my first garage sale of 2021 -- I found this chair for $20.  PERFECT.

I made a pattern out of an old sheet...


Yes. This is going really well. I went to the fabric store and bought four different colors of a heavy cotton duck fabric. (where i ran into CAROL!!)...

4 comments:

  1. Fun! A Rita-project to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO :) Can't wait to see the finished chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed,Carol! WHAT were you buying that day?

      Delete
  3. So good to see a FUN post tonight!! I love your rug, too, and how fun you now have a buffet to match! I am glad to see you remembered the zebra print: "To tone it down"!!

    I had no idea you could buy the swivel mechanism from Etsy! What will they think of next?!

    Looking forward to the next post in this series!

    ReplyDelete