Monday, March 10, 2014

Simon Haskins

Last week, I had a lot of emails from Puyallup -- along with questions about Simon Haskins. He will be glad to know he was missed at this year's Sew Expo!

After last year's Sew Expo, Simon went home and was diagnosed with cancer. This is from his website -- Sunshine 4 All

What is Sunshine 4 ALL?

My name is Simon Haskins and I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia in June of 2013. This is a very rare blood cancer that has a very long and difficult road to recovery. As part of my journey I would like to try and do something to raise awareness about blood cancers and money for The Leukaemia Foundation to support those with this horrible disease and hopefully we will one day have a cure.

My idea is for the Jenny Haskins, quilting and machine embroidery communities to help me with this project by making an 8″ x 8″ quilt block that will be used to make quilts which will then be auctioned to raise money or given to a child who has ALL. The response that I have had so far has been overwhelming. So many people have jumped on board to make a quilt block, most people have made more than one block with some people making 20 blocks or more!

The awareness colour for Leukaemia is orange. So with that in mind I would like quilt blocks made in orange, with a splash of pink and yellow for good measure.

Anyone can be involved with Sunshine 4 ALL. I will be undergoing treatment for the next two to three years so we will have heaps of time to get this done and I am hoping that by end of my treatment we all will be able to celebrate my cure with an exhibition of all the finished quilts and raise money to find a cure for ALL.

Sunshine 4 All.

There is also a Facebook page - and Simon's Mum, Jenny, is starting to put the quilts together. They will be auctioned off, and the proceeds will help people with blood cancers. The blocks have been coming in from all over the world -- and the quilts will be beautiful.
This is a video Simon made for my sister Deborah...who is one of his biggest fans...


Simon just celebrated his birthday -- and he has completed the course of chemo. CONGRATULATIONS, Simon, and Happy Birthday...we all miss you and look forward to your life getting back to normal REAL SOON...

No comments:

Post a Comment