Monday, November 29, 2021

My First Ever Niece-A-Palooza

Every time I try to use my NEW laptop (which I've had for over three years, and is loaded with Windows 10) -- I have an INCREDIBLY HARD TIME making things work. I just cannot get used to a computer where you touch the screen instead of using a mouse. And, the internal mouse on THIS dinosaur is worn out, so I have a corded mouse plugged in...it is pitiful people...

But, in the interest of trying to post a little blog this morning, I went back to my Old Faithful. Tonight is my first ever Niece-A-Palooza. I was calling it a Niece-a-Ganza. But Anne accidentally called it a Niece-A-Palooza, and I knew that was more fitting.

I am so lucky to have three nieces who live near me and include me in their lives. Deena's daughter Kelcy

Kelcy and Andy have four children, and they live about 10 miles from me.  This picture is from Aspen's baptism...which was a lovely outdoor event in Deena's back yard...



Several years ago (before she was married) -- I acted as the official tour guide for Deena and Kelcy. It was Kelcy's first visit to New York City. I went with my sisters and cousin Kim in 1997.

Somewhere along the way -- I became the Iowa-Girl-who-loves New York City -- and I went with my sisters, cousins, friends....and my last, most wonderful trip was in 2019.

Ronda's daughters, Amy and Nicole -- asked me to be their tour guide to New York City. John had dementia, but Ross agreed to stay at the house.  Jackie met us (she lived in NC at the time) and we had the MOST GLORIOUS TIME... 


 

This is my favorite picture of the girls -- setting off on bicycles in Central Park. After just two days in the city, they were completely comfortable...and I know one day, they'll go back.

 

These three young women are great about including us in their lives. Tomorrow night, we have a basketball game for Amy's son....Nicole always invites us to Easter dinner...and Lilly and Warren love swimming in Kelcy's pool with her kids.

As I've been sorting through my lifetime collections -- trying to rehome SO MUCH TREASURE -- it occurred to me that these three girls might want some of the things that once belonged to my mother.  

Nicole expressed a bit of interest in my piano -- then, I found a VHS tape with a label that says, "Nicole and Bill Kearney's Wedding".  Wow.  She got married 25 years ago...and I'm sure she would love to see this video...so I sent her a text and said she could have it as soon as she moved the piano...

I also have my mother's Hope Chest -- which is full of linens that once belonged to Mom, and her mother...and it's time I passed these treasures on....

For over a year now, I've been asking (then begging) my boys to take whatever they want.  Elliott took John's gigantic tool chest, and Ross wants the grill in the kitchen...but, other than that, they have ZERO interest in my stuff.  Boys just are not sentimental...

But, hey -- THESE GIRLS might enjoy some of this stuff.

So -- that's why tonight, I'm having my first ever Niece-A-Palooza.  There will be supper...and then a game element to determine who picks first...what will they be picking?  Well -- there's some art still on the walls, and some jewelry, spooners, Christmas rugs, bed linens, samplers...you get the idea

AND -- while they're here -- I might as well put them to work.  I'm hoping

1 comment: