Saturday, November 6, 2021

Big Crappy Jobs are Satisfying

Okay -- so here's the surprise. I FEEL GREAT. Honestly...as we get to the final count-down of moving out of our beloved home of 40 years -- I feel like I'm at the top of my game.  Of course, I have my sad moments -- but I've mostly stopped crying myself to sleep every night.  I've accepted John's Alzheimer's and my role as his caregiver.  

And I know it's time to leave our country home...

Mostly, I am looking forward to this move.  (Now actually scheduled for January 15th.)  I am THRILLED to be moving into a beautiful, comfortable new home with underground parking, maintenance inside and out, surrounded by new friends who are in a similar place in their lives.

Of course, a major move like this doesn't just happen.  This option is only available to us because John was such a good provider -- and I tell him that all the time.  If I had been in charge of the family finances -- we'd spend our final years in the back of my old 1992 Pontiac Transport van, parked down by the river.  John didn't miss a day of work at John Deere for 30 years.  He picked up every hour of overtime he was offered -- and he always contributed the max to his 401. 

AND he used to make meatballs!!


So, now, it's my turn to take care of John...

I am SO GRATEFUL to be healthy enough to be able to even tackle this job.  I'm 72 years old, and I am well aware that life changes from one minute to the next.  One fall down the stairs would put me out of commission.  Many of my friends are dealing with serious health issues...arthritis, Parkinson's, cancer. When life deals you a hand like that -- cleaning out closets drops WAY down on your to-do list.... 

My observation is that life is mostly about the luck of the draw -- I especially feel that way about both husbands and good health. 

I married John when I was 21 years old and I had no idea who I WAS -- much less who he was, or what we might become as a couple.  Instead of being a good provider, he could just as easily have turned out to be an unemployed warehouse worker with a drinking problem.

But it is what it is.  And I've been lucky...very, very lucky.

WHICH YOU ALL KNOW ONLY SO WELL...I credit most of the good things in my life to Ritaluck.  And I am grateful.

But what I've learned lately is that there is HUGE satisfaction in accomplishing the Big Crappy Jobs.  And I'm going to try to remember that feeling because the BCJs just keep coming...

When I look back on the last two years, I can't believe everything I've done....but it really does feel like I'm living out another one of those old cliches ..

 HOW DO YOU EAT AN ELEPHANT?

 



4 comments:

  1. :) Rita Luck, we could all us some of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your optimism and attitude of gratitude! I find myself at my moodiest when I forget how so very much I have to be grateful for - included in that list are "friends" who are willing to share their journey with strangers! Thank you Rita!

    ReplyDelete