Saturday, June 15, 2019

Ritaluck and Carrie's Wish List!

A day just is not complete for me if I don't get to do a little "thrifting".  I'm always on the lookout for my usual suspects...fine cotton sheets, shoes for the kids, anything I can Frankensew...

Because my addiction is well known to my family and friends -- I often have a list in my head of things other people are looking for...

For example -- last Monday, Carrie said these words: "Rita, my cheapo sewing machine quit working, and I know it's not worth fixing. Mostly, I only sew Halloween costumes, but I miss it.  I'm afraid to buy a used machine because I wouldn't know what to look for.  So, if you ever see a nice one, pick it up and I'll pay you for it. .."

So, the following Saturday night -- when Lilly and I walked into the Goodwill Store -- SURE ENOUGH....
I spotted the Kenmore carrying case. I sewed on a 1971 Kenmore 158 for 20 years...that machine now has it's own Facebook page!! It was considered the "workhorse" of all sewing machines...
The price on this machine was:   $25.88.
It's not a 158 -- it's a 12 stitch Ultra.  From the late 70's.  But the CONDITION was the most remarkable thing.
Honestly -- the paper quick guide was perfect...and the instruction book looked like it had never been opened.
The little cardboard accessories was there, too...in UNUSED condition.
They had not used a single needle out of the original package -- and the seam ripper was still in cellophane.!!
When I plugged the machine in at the store -- it sewed...but made loud clanking sounds. Of course, if you've been sitting in a closet for 40+ years, you'd be stiff, too...

Near as I can tell, this machine had NEVER been used.  When I got it home, I opened her up, and oiled every spot I could see....it was making a perfect stitch...but there was still a loud, annoying rubbing sound I couldn't track down.

I took a break.  Two hours later, it hit me that I hadn't oiled behind the bobbin.  So I took the shuttle out, added a few drops of oil....and...guess what??

YES.  PERFECTION.  That machine purrs like a kitten.  THANK YOU RITALUCK...!!

1 comment: