Wednesday, November 20, 2019

The Friendship Quilt

Two years ago, during Mary's Iowa visit, on our TMBC day -- we went to a quirky little antique mall...

One booth, in particular, was a BONANZA of vintage linens....There were a dozen SETS of embroidered Days-of-the-week dishtowels ($21 for a complete set)...and a basket full of pillowcase sets that had been laundered, ironed and folded ($4 a set).

THEN WE FOUND THE RACK OF QUILT TOPS...
th
I don't know most quilt patterns, so I'm not gonna try...
But looking at the pictures, I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T BUY THEM ALL...
I did buy this one. What looks like a pale blue is actually a small blue and white stripe...and the pink is a red and white stripe...IT'S TERRIFIC, ISN'T IT??
But I think this was the star of the day. All different quilt patterns sewn together.
I think it was the original version of the Splendid Sampler!!
Mary bought this one and took it home!!
This is a double wedding right -- right?
And a Grandmother's Garden?
All those pesky little hexies...
One of the few photos we got of all five of us.
The price for the quilt tops? $15 each.

The last picture is actually a friendship quilt -- most likely from the 30's or 40's.  Each one of the colorful blocks in this quilt has an embroidered woman's name.

My tentative plan is to make this Friendship Quilt a part of the Art of Homemaking Exhibit.

Wouldn't it be fun if I could publish the names of the women who made this quilt?  Maybe somebody will recognize a name -- and know something about these women. 

And -- hey --  if anybody comes forward -- I'll  give them the quilt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment