Friday, November 8, 2019

Part Two: My Book List

You knew I wasn't done with my book recommendations, right??

I go for a lot of action/mystery books. Some of my favorite authors are:

Harlan Coben; great mystery writer, and I have loved every book.

Ken Follet: Pillars of the Earth is one of my lifetime favorite books; and IT MIGHT TAKE YOU ALL WINTER TO READ IT. But, when you're done, you'll feel like you've learned something...you accomplished something...I dunno. that book has stayed with me for years.

But his mysteries are good, and I love his current-day hero, Myron Bolitar.

Lee Child: speaking of HEROS...I get every new Jack Reacher book the minute it comes out. Thank God the miscasting of Tom Cruise did not ruin Reacher for me..(it was a close call).

Before I end the mystery section, I've gotta give a nod to my girl, Sue Grafton. I loved the entire alphabet series...altho you don't have to read them in order, it's a good way to do it...much easier to keep track. You will fall in love with Kinsey Millhone.

My lifetime favorite authors are usually women....

Anne Lamott: her books always speak to me. Bird by Bird made me a writer. Traveling Mercies brought organized my thinking about religion versus spirituality. I love the way she uses words to describe the struggles we all feel. She wrote "My coming to faith did not start with a leap but rather a series of staggers"...I hear ya, girl...

Maeve Binchey: Hey -- who doesn't have a little Irish heritage -- YOU WILL LOVE HER BOOKS...

Jodi Picoult: nobody writes family stuff like she can. I highly recommend Nineteen Minutes....it really made me THINK about what it would be like to be the family of the shooter. My Sister's Keeper....and House Rules. All terrific books!!

Elizabeth Berg: A FAVORITE. So many times, she writes EXACTLY what was in my head. Start with: The Art of Mending...or What We Keep....or Talk Before Sleep. I think YOU WILL IDENTIFY...

AND -- if you haven't read Jeannette Walls wonderful book "Glass Castle -- I highly recommend it. And if you like it -- rush out to get Half Broke Horses.

I do have one favorite MAN author...

Bill Bryson is an A+ writer. The first book I ever read of his was The Thunderbolt Kid -- about his growing up in Des Moines, Iowa. He writes with insight, and such wonderful humor, and his observations about life and times are always right on point. In A Sunburned Country (about Australia) was amazing...and one of my lifetime favorites was: One Summer, America, 1927...when I was reading that book, I wanted to talk about it ALL THE TIME...

C'mon Winter -- WE'RE READY FOR YOU!!

No comments:

Post a Comment