Monday, November 18, 2019

Song of the Decade

Saturday afternoon...I was driving with the kids in the car.

Lilly was in the passenger seat, cuz she loves to control the radio. Warren was in the back seat...drawing a map of the world.

We are listening to a pop channel -- they were announcing the "Top Ten Songs of the Decade."

The disc jockey said: "The #3 song of the decade was Ed Sherran, The Shape Of You.

Lilly said, "Are you kidding me?  There's no way that deserves to be ranked #3 song of the DECADE...seriously..."

Trying to be hip, I said, "what song would you rank #3?"

Lilly said, "Well, it's not just what song I'd pick, Grandma...there were lots of songs that were bigger than The Shape of You.  For sure -- Camila Cabello's, Havana...or how about  One Dance by DRAKE?  It had over 60 million views on YouTube.  How do they pick the top songs?  Don't they take the free viewings into consideration?  For crying out loud, in the last five years, anything by Arianna Grande or even Taylor Swift's, Shake It Off..."

WHA???

My brain kind of froze over as Lilly continued to talk about ALL THE SONGS that she thought should've beat out Ed Sherran...

She was naming singers I do not know...Post Malone,  Shawn Mendes,

Then, she said, "Everybody wants to credit Netflix for Lizzo's success -- but, really it was Tick-Tock that blew up her music..."

At the risk of exposing my own ignorance -- I ask...

"What is Tick-Tock, Lilly?"

Remember -- SHE'S ONLY TEN YEARS OLD. But that doesn't mean she can't roll her eyes all the way back in her head....

Turns out Tick Tock is actually spelled Tik-Tok...and it's an APP (remember -- I don't even have a smartphone)....She's trying to explain a music video app to her Grandma, who still listens to CD books....."kind of like Instagram, Grandma...only for music videos...do you remember Snapchat?"

When I asked Lilly how she knew so much about music -- she said maybe I should watch the videos from Coachella...

Coachella?

HUmmm...it sounds like a bubbly drink...

Is that a purse?  A town?  A venue?  An internet show?

I was afraid to ask...

But, in case you are wondering...the #1 song of the decade....was Bruno Mars.  Uptown Funk

No comments:

Post a Comment