Thursday, November 21, 2019

Aunt Rozella's Silver

Anybody who reads this blog on a regular basis has heard about Aunt Rozella's silver. It's the finest thing I own.

But -- as I'm getting ready for the Art of Homemaking exhibit -- I realize Aunt Rozella's Silver is largely responsible for my MASSIVE COLLECTION of all-fine-things...

And here's why...

Aunt Rozella was my Mother's only sister, and she was my favorite Aunt. She worked in an office, and had a "wardrobe". She always acted like she enjoyed talking to me...even when I was a little girl...and I loved her.

As my own boys were growing up -- we went to her house every Sunday morning after Sunday School. She would always have a snack for them -- and they LOVED visiting with her. She and Uncle Marion always celebrated Christmas with our family.  And, after John and I built our home -- she and Uncle Marion came to my house for Easter dinner, and New Year's day dinner...for many happy years.

Aunt Rozella was not a good cook. But, for some reason -- we ALWAYS had Thanksgiving dinner at her house.  Even when we were little, we realized she didn't put that meal together easily.  Her mashed potatoes were either runny or lumpy...and I remember one year in particular when the turkey was raw.

Preparing that meal must have been torture for her. She and Uncle Marion lived in a small house, and fitting all of us meant setting up card tables in every room of their little house...There were six of us, then, eventually -- we brought our spouses, then, our own children. But, even as the family got BIGGER AND BIGGER -- she still did that Thanksgiving dinner every year. Eventually, she had to make room for 25+ people. IT WAS A LOT...

Aunt Rozella died in 1995.

Several years later, Uncle Marion was selling their house. I went to help him go through the rooms -- sooo much stuff. Again. Another auction....

In the guest room in that little house, I sorted through a closet and some drawers. She had several mink stoles...and some odd dolls. Then, I pulled a dust-covered wooden silverware box out from under the bed.

Uncle Marion, standing in the doorway, said, "That's Rozella's silver..."

Of course, I knew it could not possibly be REAL silver. I had never seen this box in my life. If my Aunt Rozella had REAL silver -- surely she would have used it on Thanksgiving...

I assumed it was a nice set of silverplate. Perhaps something she picked up at an auction...(auctions are a huge sport/pastime here in Iowa).

But, then, I opened the lid of the box. The original receipts were in a envelope. During the 40's and 50's, Aunt Rozella worked for Shell Oil in downtown Davenport. She purchased a piece of silver every-other-week for years -- from Parker's Department Store.

OMG...

The last piece she purchased was the pie server -- in 1976 (their 25th Anniversary).

The pie server cost $275.

She had spent a total of $2250.00 for her Silver.

Spring Glory was the pattern.

It is beautiful.

So -- now you understand how Aunt Rozella came to own this stunning set of silver...



Tomorrow -- I'll tell you how I CAME TO  OWN IT....

No comments:

Post a Comment