Thursday, April 8, 2021

The Peterson Mansion

My first official DAY OFF was on Friday, April 2nd. Comfort Keepers sent a lovely young woman to our house -- and her mission was to hang out with John all day. YIKES...I AM DELIGHTED...

So -- how did I spend this precious time? I went out for breakfast with my friend Valerie -- and then we toured some senior housing options for her.

Val currently rents a house in west Davenport. The Marycrest Senior Campus is in her general area.  Before it was developed into senior apartments, it was Marycrest College -- and Val graduated from there. Maybe this is perfect for her next chapter.

It was my job to walk up the steps into the "rental office".  I left Val in the car...and, much to my surprise, I entered a 19th century mansion -- with INCREDIBLE ORIGINAL DETAILS...

The Peterson family (owners of Peterson Harned Von Maur Department stores) built this mansion (in 1888) on a hill overlooking the Mississippi River.
In 1937, the Catholic church acquired the property (mansion and 8 acres) to locate their new women's college.
The millwork in this house is amazing...14 ft. tall ceilings.
The dining room buffet...!!
Tiffany chandeliers and the original plaster medallions...(I convinced the property manager to give me a little private tour...)
Val was waiting in the car...I was very taken with the details of all the fireplaces.  EVERYTHING WAS ORIGINAL...untouched...
That's a light on top of the newel post. It is always lit, cuz  nobody knows how to turn it off...
At some point, I thought I should go back to the car...
BUT this felt like a once-in-a-lifetime private tour!!  Of a mansion I didn't even know existed...in all it's original 1888 glory...
The bathrooms were penny tile and carrara marble...probably an early 20th century addition -- but still impressive...
Val didn't find her dream home that day -- but I CERTAINLY DID. Getting a private tour of the Peterson mansion was a completely unexpected thrilling bonus...

No comments:

Post a Comment