Wednesday, April 7, 2021

John's March Update: The VA

In March, John saw a neurologist, who diagnosed him as "late stage Alzheimer's".  The Dr. wanted to do another "battery" of tests.  But I did not see the point...the diagnosis seems pretty clear at this point...and there is no treatment, drug or surgery that's going to make a difference.  

It is what it is.

I got John signed up for the V.A. -- and that's been a WONDERFUL thing.  I would like to thank everybody who encouraged me to SIGN UP FOR THE VA...you were sooo right.

AND -- if you are married to a veteran -- here are a few things you should know.

I discovered there are different levels of entitlement.  For example, if a vet was a prisoner of war -- that's the Golden Ticket.  The VA will pay for his/her hospitalizations, medications, hearing aids, glasses, memory care unit, whatever the vet needs -- for no cost whatsoever.  The VA will even pay their spouse a monthly stipend (up to $1500) to be his "caregiver". 

Also, if a veteran is disabled because of his service -- of course, many things are covered, regardless of his financial need.

But, for most run-of-the-mill...I-served-my-country-but-came-home-fine veterans (like John) -- the  benefits he's entitled to are mostly calculated according to his financial need.

And I get that.

But, that being said -- I was happy to discover that the VA provides free "durable medical goods" for ALL veterans, regardless of their income.  That would include, for example -- a wheelchair, a walker, hospital bed or shower stool...and....wait for it...drumroll -- DEPENDS!! (we already received our first shipment!)

After filling out a lot of forms, finding his DD-214, and having three different tele-conferences -- I wasn't expecting much beyond the regular Depends delivery. (which I am VERY grateful for).

SO IMAGINE MY SURPRISE when I got a phone call from the Iowa City V.A. -- telling me they've determined that John is eligible for 11 hours a week of "home health aide" care...(I believe I will have to pay a $30 co-pay).

OMG...OMG...OMG...I cried when I hung up the phone.  

I'd already contacted the local Comfort Keepers franchise, and Friday, April 2, was the first day I was going to have somebody come to the house.   I'd agreed to private pay -- $27/hour -- to get one day off a week.  

NOW THE VA IS COMING TO MY RESCUE...and I can get 4.5 hours on Tuesday -- and 6.5 hours on Friday.

I AM THE LUCKIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD...

When the woman from the VA gave me this news, I started to cry...and she said, "please tell your husband he earned these benefits, hon.  We're happy to give you a break -- so you can continue to take care of our veteran..."



1 comment:

  1. Oh, Rita, I cried, too, when I read about the help you are going to be getting for John! I'm so sorry about the Alzheimer's; getting old can really be the pits sometimes. And I know (from seeing my dad trying to take care of my mom some years back) how exhausting it can be, to try to do everything for someone.

    My husband doesn't have Alzheimer's, but he does have right frontal lobe partial seizures, which cause lapses in memory--this has been going on for several years now, and he does take Dilantin, which helps some. He also has mild cognitive disorder, short-term memory loss, etc., plus a bad heart, pacemaker, etc. He is 88 (I'm 75), and is still able to be out and about some, and he still drives some, but I don't know how long that will continue. He is getting very frail, and has fallen a number of times. Each time I wonder, is this going to be the one....

    I will keep you and John in my prayers. I love you, Rita, and have really missed seeing you at Expo in recent years, but I know you need to be right where you are at the moment. love, Charlotte Trayer

    ReplyDelete