Saturday, August 8, 2020

Muscatine, Phase 2

Lilly was proud of her button-on-card-sewing ability...

I'm afraid I didn't get any good pictures of the Mississippi River when we were in Muscatine. And, certainly -- I SHOULD HAVE.

The Mississippi is the river we live near...it's the reason there ever WAS a Button trade...and Muscatine has done a great job of beautifying their riverfront.

From the second level of the Button Museum -- which is just a block away from the river -- I happened to take this picture.
There is a beautiful renovated old hotel -- with rooms overlooking the river. And, apparently, quite a spectacular rooftop garden.  THAT's where we'll eat our diner today...before we leave Muscatine...
But, first -- we'll do a little shopping. Like many small towns, the downtown has struggled. There is a GREAT little quilt shop (Neal's Sewing Center). 

Also, there is a good selection of tatoo parlors in downtown Muscatine...which, frankly, is always a little jarring for me.  But I've gotta chalk it up to a generational thing...

Luckily -- there was a brand new shop (which opened in June 2020), featuring vintage clothes, right across the street from the Button Museum. 
Lilly tried on about 15 different dresses...
Warren and I sat in vintage crushed velvet chairs, ready to critique her outfits.
This activity was surprisingly entertaining for BOTH of them. Lilly loves, loves, loves vintage clothes...and Warren has quite an eye for fashion. At the end of a half hour, I was calling him "Tim Gunn".  He not only got the reference -- he seemed flattered...

I spent $28 for a sweater-dress I'm pretty sure Lilly will NEVER wear.  But I had to pay homage to the young store owner's optimism....
There's a huge statue, right on the river...with some clamming device (I think)...
TIME FOR OUR PARK VISIT.  Every city or town has a park.  And in Muscatine, we picked their "Discovery Park"
I find a shady spot to sit...and I always bring along a good book...
It's a beautiful park
And the kids loved their equipment
There were lots of plastic animals to find (here, a racoon)
Rock walls to climb, soft ground to jump or fall down on..
GOOD JOB, Muscatine..!!

No comments:

Post a Comment