Monday, August 10, 2020

August 4, 2020 Dekalb Roadtrip

Another road trip?   I feel like a broken record. But, I mean -- I DO HAVE A NEW CAR...and not many other commitments...
Many times, the road trips are all about Grandma Camp...

But, on this day -- it's something REALLY SPECIAL. I'm spending the day with two of my favorite people in the world...ADULTS....WOMEN FRIENDS I've had for decades...
My cousin Jackie and I grew up together...she was the maid of honor at my wedding...and she's in Iowa, hunkered down with her 90-year old mother during the never-ending pandemic.
We are driving about 2 hours into Illinois to meet up with my old college roommate, Becky -- who has cancelled our summer meet-up at least 3 times.  But -- TODAY IS THE DAY...
We chose Dekalb, Illinois as our meeting spot...
The beautiful Egyptian Theater is closed...but the town is in Phase 4 (don't ask me what that means -- but masks are mandatory)
Dekalb is home to the University of Northern Iowa.  Like so many college towns in this country, it is prosperous, well-maintained, full of beautiful parks and grounds.  And -- they have lots of MURALS in their downtown!!
The architecture is sooo interesting.  I love the concept of apartment living above the retail spaces.
This store was called "Lovers".  We were afraid to go in...(or, disinterested?)
I AM COMPLETELY SHOCKED by how similar Becky and Jackie look.  They could be sisters!. When I was reviewing the pictures -- I kept getting them confused!!
I mean -- WOW -- what a spectacular day we had. We arrived in Dekalb at 10:00 -- and met at the Goodwill store. (in case either party arrives early -- there's interesting browsing!)

Then -- we went to one of Dekalb's beautiful PARKS -- and sat at a picnic table under a shady tree.  It was a stunning, beautiful summer day.  And I had that feeling I love -- you know the one -- "there is no place I'd rather be, and nobody I'd rather be with"...

And we just visited.  That's it.  We talked about each other's lives...our good old days -- and then our current worries and concerns...the day-to-day stuff that women do so well....in that genuine way that only happens with forever friends....  (we kept the virus conversation to a bare minimum)

Of course, there was a delicious lunch...at a wonderful little THAI restaurant.  Pad Thai...yummo...

No comments:

Post a Comment