Friday, August 14, 2020

Derecho

On Monday, a "derecho" blew across Iowa, with winds of over 100 miles per hour...we had almost no notice...everybody was going about their business...I was at the YMCA, in the pool with it started...25

I went to the Post Office, and 10 minutes later...a  20' tree fell right behind my car...it missed me by inches...

This straight-wind derecho did devastating damage...leaving half the State of Iowa with no power.  Semi trucks were blown over on their sides...millions of trees were damaged.  This unprecedented storm formed a line 750 miles long, with winds that would have made it a Cat 3 hurricane...every neighborhood in every town in all 99 counties was affected...

And I'm pretty sure you didn't hear a thing about it... 

We were without electricity for five days...cell service is still spotty...this is the first time I've been able to turn on my computer...(it's Friday night).

There won't be much blogging next week...


https://www.linkedin.com/content-guest/article/historic-failure-journalism-cary-jordan?fbclid=IwAR1-T-9tzjmFX9xsd9Wvo3wnrBH6qrqTwwAuIQ0YZIDliGF0pUdUbaTyd78

3 comments:

  1. OMG. Are you, John and your family all right? My thoughts are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uhm....so why didn't Carey report about the storm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So thankful you weren't hurt.

    ReplyDelete