Saturday, June 8, 2019

Why Hobbies

So, with summer coming on -- and Grandma Camp -- I've been looking back at my own childhood.  Those summer weeks I spent at Grandma Dodds' house -- learning how to crochet....

I'm thinking Grandma Camp is a good opportunity to introduce Lilly and Warren to some possible hobbies...and I'm going be more deliberate about pushing a "hobby agenda".

So, with that in mind...

READING IS THE BEST HOBBY EVER...For one thing, you can do it all by yourself, anywhere, at any time.  You don't need a team of players or a lot of equipment.  You don't need to practice, or make any noise.  You can do it even if you only have a few minutes to spare...Reading has always been a big part of Grandma Camp.  Both kids are already signed up at our local library for the Summer Reading Program.  And, this year, we're starting the first Lilly Summer Book Club...

SWIMMING is on our agenda for sure. It's a wonderful hobby -- and you can do it well into your old age. I spend a lot of time at the YMCA pool, and I see people at every age of life LOVING their time in the water.

I spend five or six hours a week in this beautiful swimming pool...
MUSIC:  I'm going to be more deliberate about making MUSIC a part of Grandma Camp.   Lilly already loves singing...and I'll try to encourage her to prepare a song for the Princeton Days Talent Show....or maybe the County Fair.  Warren always says he's going to be a piano player when he grows up.  So I'm going to start giving him piano lessons.



My point is -- hobbies are worth fighting for.  And maybe, hobbies could even be the GIFT you give to this next generation....a gift that could last a lifetime...


No comments:

Post a Comment